• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Trey Robinson

Hello Everyone,

I am brand new to woodturning! I live in Starkville, MS. I am really interested in making turkey pot calls. I have always had an interest in woodwork and have finally decided to give it a try.

Currently I am in the market for a lathe and have been doing some research on different models.

I am trying to decide between these three:

1.) Rikon Midi Lathe- 70-220VSR
2.) NOVA COMET II MIDI LATHE
3.) Delta 21.5 in x 34.5 VS

If anyone has any recommendations I would appreciate it.

Also if anyone has anymore info on what types of chucks and gouges etc that I might need to get started, I’d greatly appreciate it too.

Trey,
You can use just about any sized lathe to turn Turkey Pot Calls, depending on the wood you plan on using and if you plan on turning these as a production style business you might want a lathe that has sufficient torque or horsepower to quickly rough the pots. There are several methods that can be used to produce these items, an adjustable chuck with several sizes of jaws come in handy to hold the pots when you reverse chuck the pot to finish turning and sanding the exterior of the pot. Some turners use a center hole to mount the pot call blanks to rough turn and reverse mount and finish by using this center hole and a threaded mandrel and washers and nuts to hold it when finishing. There are a number of videos on YouTube that show these basic methods used to produce these items by people that have made these items for a number of years.

Welcome Trey to the forum. Like Mike said, any size lathe should serve you well. Good luck on your Turkey Pot Calls. :D

Welcome to the Forum. If all you want to make is Turkey calls the lathes listed would be fine. Delta has had off and on parts problems but seem to have that worked out now. As to tools I do not do turkey calls but the standard tools are usually used. You might also be able to find a used lathe on Craigs list and save a bundle. you did not list it but here is a Jet in Fulton https://northmiss.craigslist.org/tls/d/fulton-jet-1221-vs-lathe/6870403260.html
3/8 bowl gouge
3/8 or 1/4 spindle gouge
3/4 skew
parting tool

Chucks gets a long list I prefer Super Nova 2, and there are many other good ones such as Record, Hurricane, Oneway, Vicmarc.

Now for the plug Magnolia Woodturners meets on the third Saturday each month at the MS AG Museum in Jackson. We have maybe 3 members who regularly turn turkey calls . Our website is https://mwt.clubexpress.com/ My phone is in the contact us tab if you have questions. We meet at 9:30 AM until about 3 or 4. Have a reall good turner to learn from in the next meeting and I look forward to seeing you if you can make it.

Bill Boehme

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
pbase.com
Welcome aboard, Trey. Gerald has made an excellent suggestion. You will be light years ahead by getting some mentoring from from an instructor. Also, turning club meetings are fun. I think that all of the lathes that you listed are very good, but the only one that I have used is the Delta and I feel like it is an excellent machine.

Thank you everyone for the recommendations!

Gerald , hopefully I can make it down that way soon for a meeting. Thank you very much for the invitation. I would love to come this month, but I have prior arrangements that weekend.

Mark Hepburn

Artist & Chef
Trey, welcome to the forum and to turning!

Welcome from SE Texas area!
Congrats on finding the lathe!

Back