• December Turning Challenge Winner!
    Congratulations to Wilson Andrews, the winner of the December Turning Challenge, theme: Happy New Year!
    CLICK HERE to see the voting results.
  • January Turning Challenge -- Turn a French Rolling Pin!!

Click HERE for further details.
  • Turning of the Week --January 17, 2022

Congratulations to Andy Goldman for "Latest Charity Donation Bowl" being selected as this weeks TOTW! CLICK HERE for full details.

• Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Tried and True varnish oil issues

I’ve been working with Tried and True varnish oil and have noticed on some woods it doesn’t seem to harden. I turn green wood usually to wall thickness of 3/8-1/4”. I let the bowls dry for a couple of weeks but don’t weight to monitor water loss. And I do follow the application instructions. Some bowls feel greasy even after drying for a week following finishing and I get a residue coming off when I rub the finish out. Anyone else notice this with TTrue on green woods?

A couple of weeks is probably not enough to get the moisture content low enough. This time of year I use the trunk line away from my furnace as a drying device. It warms the wood and then it cools off with the cycling of the furnace. I start further away with a fresh bowl, and then you can put it near the furnace after a week or so. I've dried hundreds of pen blanks that way too.

A couple of weeks is probably not enough to get the moisture content low enough. This time of year I use the trunk line away from my furnace as a drying device. It warms the wood and then it cools off with the cycling of the furnace. I start further away with a fresh bowl, and then you can put it near the furnace after a week or so. I've dried hundreds of pen blanks that way too.
very clever!

Website
www.reallyruralwoodworks.com
I use T&T Varnish mostly with flatwork, which generally will be well dried wood, and have not noticed much in the way of issues, However, I did mistakenly grab that instead of Original (oil & beeswax) that I usually use with bowls and it does seem to take much longer to cure with wood that is not fully dried and stable. That bowl took several weeks (more than a month) before it stopped "weeping", Also, it can take several months for a full deep cure (some items left to sit in the sunshine can start to weep out a bit also until it is fully cured through and through)

I’ve been doing that for several years…especially to cure epoxy when tubing pen blanks. Every now & then, I find a few that I’d forgotten!!
Earl