• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Paul May for "Checkerboard (ver 3.0)" being selected as Turning of the Week for March 25, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Turners, show us your wood stash!

Early in the pandemic we made some shop tour videos, with special attention on the stash of wood that every turner has. This week I compiled the wood-stash videos into a 36-minute show, in which ten Lancaster turners bare it all. Most of us will see some aspect of ourselves here, and as always I'd be grateful for your comments:
View: https://youtu.be/amZD40zpVCc

I have four of these racks but only two have bowls. I have another storage area at our old house, was looking at them the other day and found a couple blanks dated 2006......

Attachments

• 66215223740__8FD72501-1F15-4144-A94F-DB0859EAAC19.jpg
    66215223740__8FD72501-1F15-4144-A94F-DB0859EAAC19.jpg
    121.2 KB · Views: 74
For me the stash is rough turned, rather than LET IS SIT AND SPLIT, it has been how I've done it from day one

and yes I do have some smaller pieces that are cut and dried, and they do split less than large log pieces.

When I moved all my wood and bowls to my new place up here in Atikokan in Northern Ontario, I made a couple pictures of the bowls and counted- 1000+ pieces.

I then stashed them up high in my shop, but could not place them all there, so the rest got placed in my storage unit.

Finished ones are in our house and the art gallery in town.

bowls 1.jpg Bowls 2.jpg Bowls 3.jpg Bowls 4.jpg Bowls 5.jpg

This is what I did, haul it home and turn turn turn, I loved it !!

White Ash brought home.jpg White Ash just turned.jpg

Tom Gall

TOTW Team
For me the stash is rough turned, rather than LET IS SIT AND SPLIT, it has been how I've done it from day one

and yes I do have some smaller pieces that are cut and dried, and they do split less than large log pieces.

When I moved all my wood and bowls to my new place up here in Atikokan in Northern Ontario, I made a couple pictures of the bowls and counted- 1000+ pieces.

I then stashed them up high in my shop, but could not place them all there, so the rest got placed in my storage unit.

Finished ones are in our house and the art gallery in town.

View attachment 42212 View attachment 42213 View attachment 42216 View attachment 42218 View attachment 42221

This is what I did, haul it home and turn turn turn, I loved it !!

View attachment 42222 View attachment 42223
OMG! You better get to work! Looks like a lifetime of bowl work. :D

My inside covers 21 feet of a long wall. Note I am not counting the flat stock.
6-wood-to-bs-8-19-jpg.42241
9.front wood8-19.JPG

Attachments

• 6.wood to BS 8-19.JPG
    6.wood to BS 8-19.JPG
    481.3 KB · Views: 567
On a more serious note, can you explain the dust collector box on the wall behind your drill press?
Basically a splitter. The plan was either Shop Notes or Wood Magazine. It has homemade gates that allow the air flow to be diverted to bandsaw, Drill press, and floor hose. It did serve it's purpose for many weeks but I have changed the arrangement last week. This is a better pic of it and the box on my home made cyclone.DC wall mix box.JPGDC input box.JPG

Thanks for the clarification. I like the idea of the transparent face. I also have homemade blast gates, but not centralized like this. Food for thought.

Very hard in my shops not to find turning wood.

Attachments

• 1.JPG
    1.JPG
    301.3 KB · Views: 67
  • 2.JPG
    2.JPG
    354.7 KB · Views: 66
  • 5.JPG
    5.JPG
    340.3 KB · Views: 65
  • 4.JPG
    4.JPG
    350.9 KB · Views: 65
  • 3.JPG
    3.JPG
    347.4 KB · Views: 66
  • 6.JPG
    6.JPG
    403.3 KB · Views: 63
  • 7.JPG
    7.JPG
    447.6 KB · Views: 63
  • 8.JPG
    8.JPG
    371.1 KB · Views: 63
  • 9.JPG
    9.JPG
    397.7 KB · Views: 62
  • 12.JPG
    12.JPG
    352.4 KB · Views: 63
  • 11.JPG
    11.JPG
    386.3 KB · Views: 64
  • 10.JPG
    10.JPG
    422.8 KB · Views: 61
  • 13.JPG
    13.JPG
    359.2 KB · Views: 62
  • 14.JPG
    14.JPG
    342.3 KB · Views: 59
  • 15.JPG
    15.JPG
    391 KB · Views: 69
Do you want pictures of my shop stash (which includes storage up inside the ceiling joists), my house attic stash, my garage attic stash, the garage stash, or the lean-to shed stash? Free access to a city arborist grinding pile can be a bad thing. I've started selling it on Etsy, but with medium flat rate boxes full, it's going to take a long time to relieve the burden for my adult kids! Our son says if this home ever burns, they'll see it from space.

Randy Anderson

Beta Tester
Beta Tester
Website
www.etsy.com
I won't post a pic but I take comfort in seeing that we are all hoarders - every piece of wood that even might be valuable to turn or use, even if it's a toothpick, is kept and stacked, piled, marked (maybe) and kept. We sit on it like our pile of gold. I've said it many times - yep, that nub left in the chuck might make a good jam chuck piece one day, pitch in on the stack. I've been trying to increase my inventory of rough turned or ready to sand pieces like I see many of you have. Too much of mine stays out back still needing chainsaw work.

Last edited:
In the pictures there seems to be a very heavy bias toward bowls, with a couple dramatic exceptions. Limited amounts of obvious spindle stock. I turn a lot of spindles, mostly 1x1 stock, but it usually remains in plank form until needed for a specific project. In the past I turned many bowls and hollow forms, but far fewer in recent years.

Wow…little bit of an older thread but found it while searching for what people do to store pen and bowl blanks…also, those that put green turned blanks in paper bags, boxes, etc. There are some absolutely amazing pictures on this thread!

The one thing I didn't really plan out for my first 'real' shop was wood storage. I did better with my new shop, which is bigger. However, I may add an outdoor shed for lumber storage. I think it is safe to say that we need as much space for wood storage as we do for tools...

robo hippy

Website
www.timsworkshop.com
The one thing I didn't really plan out for my first 'real' shop was wood storage. I did better with my new shop, which is bigger. However, I may add an outdoor shed for lumber storage. I think it is safe to say that we need as much space for wood storage as we do for tools...

robo hippy
Same here. I planned for some wood racks for flat wood on the wall, and did make a swing out sheet goods storage piece, but did not plan for anything else. I have 2 of the wall racks, plus a third now mounted on the sheet good storage. I built a cart out of 2x4 and plywood that has pieces on it to be cut into blanks (it is on heavy duty wheels so I can move it). Built another in the garden shed and loaded it up. Then there are the pieces - either as logs or blanks, throughout the shop wherever I have space, and other chunks of wood that need to be introduced to a chain saw outside the shop. Plus, I have access to my father-in-law's firewood pile - the logs before they are cut and split. He gets 'deliveries' from a local tree service to keep his supply up. He now has more wood than he will likely ever burn in his lifetime.

I designed my sheet goods and flat lumber around a double-sided storage rack from Uline that I bought but am now trying to figure out where I will keep bowl blanks and other things of that nature. I enclosed a 25' x 10' lean-to attached to my steel building so that I could move my dust extractor and air compressor system (compressor/dryer/dry tank, etc.) I am going to use the opposite long wall for lumber storage (probalby bowl blanks as well). I keep telling my wife that I need to build another steel building just for storage...so far she hasn't taken the bait!

Back