• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Peter Jacobson for "Red Winged Burl Bowl" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 29, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Turning a clock face

I'm wanting to turn some clock faces that look like archery targets. What wood do you suggest? Nothing stained but painted with circles. I'll see if I can find a target face as an example.NASP target face.jpg

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
John You can do that with Calligraphy inks and a good brush. Just dip the brush in the ink, turn on the lathe at a moderate speed. Then use your tool rest to steady your hand and simply touch the wood where you want a line. The other method is to use an air brush. With the air brush you mask off an area with tape, cut it out and peel it off. I use an exacto knife and the tool rest to steady my hand while I rotate the work and cut through the tape. Then peel it off and paint. Of course this could be done without the airbrush. Here is a stool that i did with a target. Yea I know I have a wierd sense of humor.

Fart Muffler.jpg

hockenbery

Forum MVP
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
www.hockenberywoodturning.com
Like John said but if you want a grove between the colors you can cut it with the point if the skew or a pyramid tool.
Mark the lines with a pencil and using a skew with the point down or a pyramid tool make a tiny groove.
You can then mask right up to the groove. Paint every other ring let dry then mask off the painted rings up to the groove and paint the remaining rings.
When dry refine the grove by cutting each side in turn to the bottom center. This will give crisp edged to the paint/wood and clean any paint from the groove.

if you know the colors in the second rings painted will cover the first colors you can skip the first masking.

if you go the archival ink route. The Pigma pens an others come with a wide tip. You can skip the masking if you have a steady hand since the pen tips are easy to control and the ink just flows to where the tip touches the wood.

Poplar lumber or whatever wood falls to the ground at your feet, preferably something with snug grain like maple.

Thanks, Dean.
BTW, how are things up your way?
Cold and wet. And doggish. I got a started bird dog. He's 11 months now and I'm spending half the day, every day doing dog owner stuff, which I haven't had to do for 20 years. He's great and I'm having fun, but not finding much time for turning.

It's hunting season here, too. I have two blacksmith dogs. You boot them in the tail and they make a bolt for the door. lolGoing to turn some when I get time, probably next week. Take care.

Back