• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Turning Alone Safely (from face shield)

There are so many of us that tinker...alone. I fix phones, cameras, anything broken, weld, fabricate. I stop when someone comes up. My turning is my big alone time activity. Yes, there are dangers being alone and doing. There are dangers hunting alone, I love it. I will be 71 this year, one day they will find me alone and gone, just hope I'm doing something I like instead of being safely stored in an old folks place...

Website
www.timsworkshop.com
The comments on the face shield reminded me of the Lynne Yamaguchi turning accident in 2012 that seriously injured her, and left her with life-long physical impacts.

In her follow-up from the accident, she did some math to determine the approximate amount of energy the wood expended when it hit her face. She also looked at the standards for impact resistance. A standard face shield would have maybe spread the impact a bit, but would only have absorbed a tiny fraction of the energy expended by the wood. The only thing that came close (at the time) was a riot helmet shield - and that fell a bit short (but only by a small amount). Going from memory (which is a whole other issue :D), I think she calculated the energy expended by the chunk at somewhere in the range of 120 joules. The standard for the turning face shields was, I believe, somewhere in the neighborhood of 6 joules. No, I am not missing any digits in that number. Six is the number. The riot helmet clocked in at 111 joules. This is all non-penetrating impact, from standardized testing per the applicable standards (ANSI for the turning shield, I forget the standard body for the riot shield). Sobering information.

I still use the same shield I always have, but I pay a lot more attention to what I am doing and where I am when starting the lathe. If you search her name, you can find her website, where there is a series of blog posts from the accident and multi-year recovery. She also wrote an article for American Woodturner, that I believe is available without subscription. She links that as well. The article is worth a read.

Paying attention to the wood we choose, staying out of the line-of-fire, using safe mounting/chucking methods, AND wearing good protective gear ( which is NOT the flimsy rimless plastic I see used as an excuse for wearing a face shield ) should be our S.O.P. Yet I still see "professional" turners that choose to merely wear a pair of glasses - and demonstrate. I really really detest the cavalier vibe that this conveys to new or inexperienced turners. It is just begging for an injury when folks without the decades of experience - who new turner's may look up to - forgoe protecting their face - and demonstrates his/her turning.

If it is true that "prides comes before a fall".....then "hubris comes before bodily injury".......;)

Website
www.timsworkshop.com
Funny I come in from the shop and see there is a new reply to this (now) relevant thread. Had a minor shop mishap tonight. All parts are still intact. I am also still intact. Most of my blood stayed on the inside, and what didn't did not get on the project (I am sure that was a primary concern).

So, what happened?

Some time ago (years), I made a 6" sanding disc for my lathe using a piece of baltic birch ply and a faceplate. PSA sandpaper sticks nicely, and when it gets too gummed up (the ply), it is pretty easy to resurface. Primarily, it is used to square pen blanks, but it is also useful when I need a disc sander, and it is not a big enough job to warrant changing out paper on the 8" disc/belt unit on the other side of the shop. That was the case earlier this evening. I needed to do some rough, rapid, material removal. I put an 80 grit disc on, screwed the sander to the spindle, and went to town. Low speed on the lathe (250 tonight), and things were going well. Then I must have applied too much pressure, angled the workpiece, or something as it got launched out of my hands. Since I was no longer holding anything but that message had not fully registered in my brain, my hand kept moving. The pad of my right thumb encountered the EDGE of the sanding disc. I immediately pulled back, but enough contact was made that I got the mother of all paper cuts. Lots of red. Of course it is a finger, so it bled. A lot.

Shut off the lathe, over to the first aid kit, out with the bandaids and some antibiotic ointment (I was not overly concerned about cleaning it at that very moment, as I wanted to contain the blood drippings so I could finish buttoning up the shop - I had decided once my thumb hit the disc that I was done for the night). First go was a failure - having opposable thumbs is a great thing, until one is not usable. Second try worked better. Now it is more properly cleaned, bandaged, and throbbing wonderfully. Not deep enough to require a trip to get a stitch or two, or to deal with superglue to close it (which, unless you have the medical stuff feels exactly like you just poured liquid fire into the cut). Some more ointment (after washing thoroughly), a square of gauze, some paper tape, and a finger cot to help hold it together.

This is my right thumb. I use one of the Logitech wireless trackballs (the M570, to be exact). With my right hand. If you are familiar with that particular device, then you know that your thumb is what you use to move the trackball. I think I need to pull out a regular mouse and sync it to this receiver.....

It did make me think of what I would have done had the injury been more severe. After the initial cursing, of course.

Website
www.reallyruralwoodworks.com
Good story , Tim. :) I have launched a couple pieces on mine (6 inch disk chucked into lathe, but mine only goes down to 650 RPM) if I am a little careless (I use the tool rest as a "platform" to rest the items on, helps keep things steady and square-ish) small pieces can and do catch a little and shoot out of my fingers and off into space - generally leave me checking if I need an underwear change :) Plus, I have bumped fingers into the disk surface (fingernail polisher, and fingerprint remover, anyone?) but I guess because of the tool rest being used for the "platform" I guess I have managed to avoid an incident similar to yours.. rest is up close, almost touching the disk... like any other disk sander might.. I'm thinking about making a flat platform that fits into banjo instead of tool rest, because I don't even HAVE a disk sander, and that sander does come in handy, and platform would let me set more precise angles if I need to do something other than just sand off a corner of something..

Back