• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Peter Jacobson for "Red Winged Burl Bowl" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 29, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Turning an inside out Christmas ornament video

Being new to turning, I wanted to actually see this done rather than just have it explained to me. Now I can see it and so can the rest of you who haven't done inside out turnings yet. Looks simple enough. Just click on the link then enjoy and happy holidays! http://marleyturned.com/id126.htm

Last edited:

TEK

Nice website

I watched the video and then checked out some of the other parts of your website. I think it is one of the best turning websites I’ve seen. The videos look very professional. Thanks for sharing your skills with us.

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
Excellent video. I would make 2 suggestions. When sanding, especially the initial turning of the inside, sand below the center line. Sanding those square corners can be really tricky. If you haven't don't this before try wrapping the sandpaper around a dowel. The same is true for sanding the outside of the finished ornament. I sand with my palm up from the bottom of the ornament. Also when sanding or cutting these open areas you are cutting very little wood. It's extremely easy to take a way too much. You have to be lighter on the bevel when cutting and use less pressure when sanding.
When measuring the "silhouette" do it from the flat side, not the corner.
OK one more tip. When designing from scratch make sure you inside design is no larger than 60 percent of the outside design. This can be varied depending on design. I usually glue up scrap 2x4's and test my designs to make sure the inside doesn't get bigger than the outside.

Website
www.almather.com
One other variation, instead of cutting off the glued up ends, after the first turning, I use a band saw to cut lengthwise along the joints, just enough so the glue is cut or will come apart easily. This way you can start out with a shorter blank and still end up with the same finished piece.

I did bookmark the video. Very good demo. Thanks.

Al

Back