• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Peter Jacobson for "Red Winged Burl Bowl" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 29, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Turning of the Week for April 15, 2024

hockenbery

Forum MVP
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
www.hockenberywoodturning.com
My choice for Turning of the Week of April 15, 2024, is "Big Leaf Maple" by Kevin Jesequel.
Each of Kevin’s hollow forms in this style catches my eye when he posts them. This week he treated us to three. I like this one best.
The curve is clean from the table to the lip detail. The texture makes me want to hold it and feel the ripples.
While the wood and spalt lines add interest this is an excellently shaped piece that stands out just in silhouette. An amazing piece that deserves recognition!

Kevin’s description: “Big Leaf Maple with a bit of figure, a bit of spalting, and a bit of added texture. Approx 6”d x 4”h”

full

My choice for Turning of the Week of April 15, 2024, is "Big Leaf Maple" by Kevin Jesequel.
Each of Kevin’s hollow forms in this style catches my eye when he posts them. This week he treated us to three. I like this one best.
The curve is clean from the table to the lip detail. The texture makes me want to hold it and feel the ripples.
While the wood and spalt lines add interest this is an excellently shaped piece that stands out just in silhouette. An amazing piece that deserves recognition!

Kevin’s description: “Big Leaf Maple with a bit of figure, a bit of spalting, and a bit of added texture. Approx 6”d x 4”h”

full
Truly beautiful. The shape is what sets it apart for me. How was the texturing done?

hockenbery

Forum MVP
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
www.hockenberywoodturning.com
Truly beautiful. The shape is what sets it apart for me. How was the texturing done?
@Kevin Jesequel answered this in the gallery ——Thank you, Will. I use an electric engraver with a small round headed nail in place of the hardened engraving tip.

this is a technique that makes lots of small dents. It’s been around quite while. Still makes a great surface.

Last edited:
Great idea. One of those tools that’s been sitting in a tool cabinet, unused in 20 years, just waiting to be found and put to use. I’ll have to dig it out.

Back