• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Will Armstrong for "Gold Carved Bowl" being selected as Turning of the Week for May 20th, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Turning of the Week for April 3, 2023

Tom Gall

TOTW Team
My choice for Turning of the Week for April 3rd, 2023 is “Chaco Passages” by Jim McLain.

Jim has produced some very beautiful pieces in this series. The contrast between the fantastic grain of the smooth surfaces and the added brickwork is wonderful. I love the subtle textures and slight variations of color in the brickwork - very realistic. And the recessed windows are just icing on the cake!

Well done, Jim .... now, if only you weren’t too lazy to set up your photo booth! ;)

full

Last edited:

Michael Anderson

Super Moderator
Staff member
TOTW Team
Great choice! This series is so darn cool. This one in particular, I really like the inlay running up the narrow smooth section.

Being a segmenter; these pieces are always a favorite of mine. It’s easy to see a Jim McLain piece from across the room. This is another outstanding addition to a great collection of pieces!!

Back