• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Will Armstrong for "Gold Carved Bowl" being selected as Turning of the Week for May 20th, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Turning of the Week for August 14, 2023

Michael Anderson

Super Moderator
Staff member
TOTW Team
My choice for Turning of the Week beginning Monday, August 14, 2023 is “Red Oak Vessel" by Kevin Jesequel. Kevin’s hollow forms are textbook. His curves are always continuous and his openings narrow. I appreciate his well-formed necks/rims, as well as his typically small bases that give lift to the forms. That said, these attributes apply to pretty much all of his pieces. As someone else once wrote, you could throw a dart at any of his turnings and it would land on something excellent. Please don’t actually throw a dart, as that would be a sacrilege.

The reason I chose this vessel in particular is because I have a fondness for Oaks. I also have a fondness for employing additional techniques that enhance a piece’s overall effect. Even if Kevin had simply sanded this vessel it would be spectacular; however, by sandblasting this seemingly fast-growing piece of Red Oak we are treated with a visually tactile canvas full of sharp rays and deep earlywood crevasses. The intense texture is perfectly juxtaposed with warm natural coloration--the surface treatment takes the piece to the next level. Really the top level, as this is one of the best hollow forms I’ve seen. Maybe one day I will be fortunate enough to hold it in my hands.

This piece ticks all of the boxes for me: excellent form, skillful embellishment, fantastic finish, and a wonderful photograph to boot. It is my pleasure to choose Kevin’s vessel for my inaugural TOTW selection.

full

odie

TOTW Team
Panning for Montana gold, with Betsy, the mule!
Great evaluation, Michael...... :)

This is the kind of evaluation that makes the TOTW special to the recipient.....and the rest of us TOTW members should aspire to!

-o-

Bill Boehme

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
pbase.com
Congratulations, Kevin. @Michael Anderson, @odie hit the nail square on the head. My kindergarten art class didn't delve too deeply into critiques beyond the teacher saying, "Billy, your fingerpainting broached uncharted territory, but next time try to keep it mostly on the paper".

My choice for Turning of the Week beginning Monday, August 14, 2023 is “Red Oak Vessel" by Kevin Jesequel. Kevin’s hollow forms are textbook. His curves are always continuous and his openings narrow. I appreciate his well-formed necks/rims, as well as his typically small bases that give lift to the forms. That said, these attributes apply to pretty much all of his pieces. As someone else once wrote, you could throw a dart at any of his turnings and it would land on something excellent. Please don’t actually throw a dart, as that would be a sacrilege.

The reason I chose this vessel in particular is because I have a fondness for Oaks. I also have a fondness for employing additional techniques that enhance a piece’s overall effect. Even if Kevin had simply sanded this vessel it would be spectacular; however, by sandblasting this seemingly fast-growing piece of Red Oak we are treated with a visually tactile canvas full of sharp rays and deep earlywood crevasses. The intense texture is perfectly juxtaposed with warm natural coloration--the surface treatment takes the piece to the next level. Really the top level, as this is one of the best hollow forms I’ve seen. Maybe one day I will be fortunate enough to hold it in my hands.

This piece ticks all of the boxes for me: excellent form, skillful embellishment, fantastic finish, and a wonderful photograph to boot. It is my pleasure to choose Kevin’s vessel for my inaugural TOTW selection.

full
Very Nice Kevin! Congrats

Back