• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Will Armstrong for "Gold Carved Bowl" being selected as Turning of the Week for May 20th, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Turning of the Week for August 7, 2023

Bill Boehme

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
pbase.com
My selection for TOTW for the week of August 7, 2023, is "Blackened Oak Bowl" by Marc Banka. From the moment that I first laid eyes on this absolutely stunning bowl, I knew that Marc Banka had made my task this week a "no-brainer". This bowl immediately invites being held and imagining the tactile feel of its purity of form. In my mind, Marc absolutely nailed it. I love the beautifully proportioned and clean form, the rim design that works so well to complement the overall form, the two simple accent lines to draw in the viewer's attention, the out-of-the-ordinary foot design, and the blackened finish which works so well to simultaneously soften the appearance while accentuating the grain and medullary ray pattern of the wood.

I should also mention that the photography is top-notch.

full

Tom Gall

TOTW Team
A near perfect bowl, Marc ... (only because perfection is rarely achieved - and we can only see a photo !!! ;)). Well done!

My selection for TOTW for the week of August 7, 2023, is "Blackened Oak Bowl" by Marc Banka. From the moment that I first laid eyes on this absolutely stunning bowl, I knew that Marc Banka had made my task this week a "no-brainer". This bowl immediately invites being held and imagining the tactile feel of its purity of form. In my mind, Marc absolutely nailed it. I love the beautifully proportioned and clean form, the rim design that works so well to complement the overall form, the two simple accent lines to draw in the viewer's attention, the out-of-the-ordinary foot design, and the blackened finish which works so well to simultaneously soften the appearance while accentuating the grain and medullary ray pattern of the wood.

I should also mention that the photography is top-notch.

full
Excellent. BC

Beautiful piece - such an honest, clean shape; the deep dark color; the size and shape of the foot; the orientation of the wood and the prominence of the tangential rays; the stunning photography.

Bill Boehme

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
pbase.com
Bill's description and praise are exactly what I would have said, if I were as eloquent. Well done, Marc!

@Dean Center, What you need is a Complex Sentence Generator to garble up your message. :rolleyes: See how much more sophisticated this sounds:
The astonishing description and accolade flowing so eloquently from the lips of our pompous bellwether are precisely what I would have verbalized, if not for the lack of verbal bullsmith. Well done, Marc!

@Dean Center, What you need is a Complex Sentence Generator to garble up your message. :rolleyes: See how much more sophisticated this sounds:
I can't even find some of those words in my Webster's Collegiate Dictionary. Also, a Complex Sentence Generator is way too high tech for a guy who plans on heading for the woods when AI computers become the climax species on the planet.

Back