• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Ronald Campbell for "Guardian Penguin" being selected as Turning of the Week for June 10, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Turning of the Week for January, 10th, 2022

Tom Gall

TOTW Team
My choice for this week’s TOTW is “Enneper III” by Michael Foster.

I was hesitant to choose this piece because my last selection was a piece by Mike, and there were several other excellent contenders to choose from. But I kept returning to this well-presented piece of art.

A beautifully finished burl and a sensuous form – even though it is based on mathematics. As per Mike’s description (on another forum) “…..this is a mutated triply periodic Enneper minimal surface” form. ??? … OK!

EnneperII-3-220105.jpg

Bill Boehme

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
pbase.com
Congratulations Michael Foster on a very beautifully executed piece.

... As per Mike’s description (on another forum) “…..this is a mutated triply periodic Enneper minimal surface” form ...

Yes, it is as anybody can plainly see. :D However, I don't see where it intersects itself so is this what is meant by mutated? Here is a 3-D image of a self-intersecting Enneper minimal surface.

... As per Mike’s description (on another forum) “…..this is a mutated triply periodic Enneper minimal surface” form ...

And my artistically challenged mind just thought it is a cool piece and wondered if the inside was carved or somehow turned.

Tom Gall

TOTW Team
Congratulations Michael Foster on a very beautifully executed piece.

Yes, it is as anybody can plainly see. :D However, I don't see where it intersects itself so is this what is meant by mutated? Here is a 3-D image of a self-intersecting Enneper minimal surface.
Thanks, Bill ..... but I have no idea what you or Mike are talking about. I just know that I really like this piece.

Below is an additional explanation by Mike that may make sense to you ..... but not for me! :confused:
"I decided to return to my Enneper forms in the minimal surface series but just to make it different I stretched out one side of the form."

Tom Gall

TOTW Team

And my artistically challenged mind just thought it is a cool piece and wondered if the inside was carved or somehow turned.
I'm with you!!!!! As Mike explains - this piece was turned on 6 axes to remove as much waste wood as possible, but still a lot of carving and sanding.

odie

TOTW Team
Panning for Montana gold, with Betsy, the mule!
Michael Foster's works make me ask "how did he do it" over and over again! ;)

He has a special place in the turning world that he shares with very few other turners!

More of his works, click here:

-----odie-----

That's beautiful and amazing!
I have enough trouble woodturning in only 3 dimensions...

I just saw this and was quite surprised. I totally did not expect to be honored again. Thank you Tom. I have to keep telling folks that the actual math in these is beyond me, but I have found multiple ways to view what the mathematicians come up with. I have also found programs to alter some of the variables and view the results, sometimes in 3D graphics. I called this piece "mutated" because I intentionally stretched out one side of the form. I used a graphics program to do this, but not a math based one. I am not sure if this could be represented in mathematical equations, but wouldn't be surprised if it could. So I am not sure if this could be an actual minimal surface but think it is possible. Bill, there are multiple different examples of the self-intersecting minimal surfaces of any given number of lobes. I have looked at these, and just don't think they have the eye appeal of simpler forms, so I have never tried one.

Thanks again to all.

Bill Boehme

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
pbase.com
@mfoster
Michael, I just discovered another one of your Enneper minimal surface pieces from about three years ago is also named Enneper II. Do you want to revise the name of your latest piece (perhaps Enneper III)? Here is the other Enneper II.

EnneperII-16-190323.jpg

What really impresses me about your pieces based on math functions is your ability to use the graphical representation as a starting point to create your unique interpretations. I'm certain that there is a mathematician somewhere who will dedicate his life to reverse engineering your work to come up with a new class of Foster optimal surfaces. :)

@mfoster
Michael, I just discovered another one of your Enneper minimal surface pieces from about three years ago is also named Enneper II. Do you want to revise the name of your latest piece (perhaps Enneper III)? Here is the other Enneper II.

View attachment 42362

What really impresses me about your pieces based on math functions is your ability to use the graphical representation as a starting point to create your unique interpretations. I'm certain that there is a mathematician somewhere who will dedicate his life to reverse engineering your work to come up with a new class of Foster optimal surfaces. :)
Hey thanks for that Bill. I thought I had looked at all my Enneper works and I hadn't yet used Enneper II. Somehow missed this piece. Luckily it is an easy fix. I already have it on the piece, but just requires an extra I.

Back