• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Turning of the Week for January 17th, 2022

Emiliano Achaval

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
hawaiiankoaturner.com
Once again it is my turn to choose the TOTW for the Forum. Competition has been fierce! I'm impressed by the quality of work put out by our family members. As I was scrolling, I chose a handful of turnings. Then I went back to have a second better look. In the end, what really surprised me was "Latest Charity Donation Bowl", by Andy Goldman. At first glance, I assumed it was basket illusion work. Well, I guess that it still is a basket illusion, but, with a different spin. It is a segmented bowl! 3552 pieces put painstakingly put back together to make one beautiful bowl. Well done. My choice this week. Congratulations Andy.

full

Emiliano Achaval

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
hawaiiankoaturner.com
Thank you all for the honor.
For someone like me that never attempted a segmented piece, your work is truly an amazing mathematical piece of engineering, and of course woodturning, all combined to make a stunning work of art. Would love to see the process someday. Aloha from Maui. Congratulations again. Let us know how well she did, is it an auction for charity? Should bring top dollar.

Emiliano: I have given several pieces to Auctions for Charities and found they do not sell for what they should. I participate in woodworking shows, competitions etc and let the buyer know that the 100% of the money for the turning goes directly to a charity. The customer gets the turning and also gets the write off for the donation. This has led to some customers to write their check for more than the asking price. It feels very good to be able to do this, I guess you could say it is a "paying it back" for life being very good to me. I have a past customer who is interested in purchasing this turning, but I have several competitions coming up so he will have to wait until they are over in a few months. Thanks again for the Honor.

Emiliano: I have given several pieces to Auctions for Charities and found they do not sell for what they should. I participate in woodworking shows, competitions etc and let the buyer know that the 100% of the money for the turning goes directly to a charity. The customer gets the turning and also gets the write off for the donation. This has led to some customers to write their check for more than the asking price. It feels very good to be able to do this, I guess you could say it is a "paying it back" for life being very good to me. I have a past customer who is interested in purchasing this turning, but I have several competitions coming up so he will have to wait until they are over in a few months. Thanks again for the Honor.

Andy
Unfortunately I am a bit of a tax nerd having taught that topic for several years. You say "The customer gets the turning and also gets the write off for the donation" yes the customer gets the turning and your assurance that the proceeds are donated to charity BUT they do not get a "write off for the donation". First you would have to be a registered charity with a IRS number so that they could get an official receipt with that tax number on it. Second, if they get something of value (your bowl) then their payment is for a purchase and not a donation. Tax law changed several years back and if you itemize your deductions and have over $24,000 in itemized deductions (married couple), this include charitable giving (with receipt and IRS charitable tax number) you can claim those deductions including charitable giving. Otherwise you simply take the standard deduction of $24,000 - no receipts or proof.

So you are able to claim a charitable deduction if you have itemized deduction greater than $24,000. The good news is is that for the IRS it is all small potatoes and it is not worth their while to check this sort of thing.

I think what you do is excellent and telling your customers that their money is donate to charity is good, but telling them that they can write it off is not wise.

Hope that helps and I don't offend you in anyway.
Alan

Alan
Thanks for the information, I will change what I tell buyers in the future. Also, to let you know that you did not offend me, but have given me an insight into how to promote the donations to Charities from here on.

Back