• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Paul May for "Checkerboard (ver 3.0)" being selected as Turning of the Week for March 25, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Turning of the Week for July 4th, 2022

Emiliano Achaval

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
hawaiiankoaturner.com
Once again is my turn to select the turning of the week. Our TOTW has been doing an excellent job, not an easy one, with so many great, well-designed turnings to choose from. I have had my eye on a piece for quite some time, hoping that the other team members were not going to pick it. For this week's TOTW, I have chosen "A Small Blackwood Box with Bamboo Cross" by Hughie. I can appreciate how much work has gone into this beautiful box. From the carved lid, to the body of the box, and all the way down to the feet. One word came to mind: flawless. I also like the top, adding the bamboo gave it a nice touch. Well done Hughie, congratulations!

1656919074412.png

[

So, @hughie how do you get the bamboo cross piece with a big joint on each end through the knob on the lid? Or, do you cut the bamboo in the middle?
Bill,
Are now your asking the magician how his trick is done :D. Seriously its cut in half and pushed in from both sides and glued. The amazing thing is you're the first person to ask this.

Bill Boehme

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
pbase.com
@hughie, Thank you for revealing the "secret" and your secret is safe with me. I promise to keep my lips zipped.

A very long time ago, before I heard about woodturning, I carved a heart with an arrow passing through a small diameter hole drilled through the heart. The "secret" was that the arrow was made of basswood which can be compressed in a vise just barely enough to allow the head of the arrow to be passed through the hole. Once through the hole, the arrowhead was soaked in a shallow dish of water allowing it to swell to almost its original size.

Back