• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Turning of The Week for March 25, 2024

Michael Anderson

Super Moderator
Staff member
TOTW Team
Every time my turn comes around (puns not intended) to choose a featured turning, I always get a bit nervous. Is my choice appropriate? Will I offend the non-chosen? And soon, and so on. This week, as with others, there are myriad worthy pieces. However, my eye was drawn to one just a bit more than others.

Checkerbowl (3rd variant) by Paul May is a wonderful piece. The form is great: a nice continuous curve that oh-so-subtly relaxes at the rim. A slightly downward-sloping rim that meets the interior with a crisp edge. This abrupt change of surface planes really enhances the closed form calabash's undercut, and accentuates the thinness of the vessel's walls. It is also a nice contrast to the gently rounded edge where the exterior meets the rim. I can't see the bottom of the bowl, but I suspect there is a small flat/divot--it's small enough so that in photo the curve remains uninterrupted.

Adding to all of this, the segmented construction takes this bowl over the top. If you haven't done so, take a look at Paul's AAW forum album. You'll see that he has a keen eye for color combinations and patterns. Often his turnings have include a little surprise on the interior (a compass rose comes to mind). Though there may not be a surprise with this bowl, the timber choices are perfect. The majority of the segments have a wave-like character to their grain, which give a nice sense of circular motion to the bowl. The accents (Purpleheart on the rim, and Ebony lining the feature ring, are crisp and nicely contrasted, though the Purpleheart might blend in with the Leopardwood in a couple of decades (that's a half joke). And the feature-ring itself is awesome! I love the tilted checkerboards so much, and the choice to include a thin connecting band is perfect. I also appreciate the non-glossy finish of the bowl.

Above all else Paul, I also appreciate your tenacity regarding "finding the calabash form". In my opinion, this is the best one yet of the pieces you have posted. Made even cooler that this is part of an ongoing series. Way to top yourself! It's my please to choose your latest Checkerbowl for this week's featured turning. Nice work--keep them coming!

Checkerbowl_PaulMay.jpg

Last edited:

Tom Gall

TOTW Team
Very nice, Paul. Congrats on your first TOTW!!! Don't know how I missed seeing this piece until now. I think the gallery photos under Woodturning Forums don't always coincide with the Photo Gallery - or - something to do with Gallery postings and those within Albums.
Good choice, Michael. Appreciate your complete and well thought out reasons for your selections.

Wow Michael....I am indeed surprised and honored by this. I have been hesitant to call something a calabash since I am not dialed in on the nuances of the popular form (per Kelly's discussion). I have loved working with wood for a very long time. Glad I found wood turning just in time :)

Very nice, Paul. Congrats on your first TOTW!!! Don't know how I missed seeing this piece until now. I think the gallery photos under Woodturning Forums don't always coincide with the Photo Gallery - or - something to do with Gallery postings and those within Albums.
Good choice, Michael. Appreciate your complete and well thought out reasons for your selections.
Thank you much Tom!

Nice choice Michael and well done Paul. I would add that your alignment is also outstanding! When you make a piece that is hard to look away from, you’ve completed the connection with the audience….that is always fun to do!! Congratulations Paul!!

Back