• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Turning of the Week for March 4, 2024

Tom Gall

TOTW Team
My choice for TOTW for March 4, 2024, is “Emerging World” by Jim McLain.

This is an early work by Jim (made before his wonderful “Chaco” series) that is just outstanding. The spheres look perfect and the hemispherical base is complementary with the overall theme of the piece. I love the look of the globe with the missing segments. The colors of the Cocobolo are beautiful (except for the three support pegs which are different), but by now all have probably darkened to the same hue. Well done, Jim!

full

Nice choice Tom! Outstanding piece Jim. This is a world you should revisit for the obvious reasons (my personal entertainment, haha!!).

Thanks Tom and thanks everyone for the kind comments. When I was making these back in the early 2000’s many thought they looked like the Death Star from Star Wars.

Would you mind sharing how you created the outer shell? (No offense taken if you don't!) If I had to try to recreate it, I think I'd hollow through a hole on the side and then remove segments around the entry hole and the mount point. Am I close? I've never done segmented work, so I don't know how hard it would be to cut segments out so cleanly.

Jim McLain

Artist
Website
www.lucadecor.com
Would you mind sharing how you created the outer shell? (No offense taken if you don't!) If I had to try to recreate it, I think I'd hollow through a hole on the side and then remove segments around the entry hole and the mount point. Am I close? I've never done segmented work, so I don't know how hard it would be to cut segments out so cleanly.
Asher - The outer shell was made in two halves that were turned as a sphere, then turned on the inside to match the outside. Before the two half’s were glued together the inner sphere is captured and covered to protect it from the carving of the outer sphere. Hope this makes sense.

Asher - The outer shell was made in two halves that were turned as a sphere, then turned on the inside to match the outside. Before the two half’s were glued together the inner sphere is captured and covered to protect it from the carving of the outer sphere. Hope this makes sense.

Thanks, that makes sense and seems kind of obvious now that you've explained it. Working with it in 2 pieces didn't even occur to me.

My choice for TOTW for March 4, 2024, is “Emerging World” by Jim McLain.

This is an early work by Jim (made before his wonderful “Chaco” series) that is just outstanding. The spheres look perfect and the hemispherical base is complementary with the overall theme of the piece. I love the look of the globe with the missing segments. The colors of the Cocobolo are beautiful (except for the three support pegs which are different), but by now all have probably darkened to the same hue. Well done, Jim!

full
Remarkable work well done!

Back