• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Ronald Campbell for "Guardian Penguin" being selected as Turning of the Week for June 10, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Turning of the Week for November 15th, 2021

Tom Gall

TOTW Team
My choice for this week’s TOTW is Endless Maple” by Michael Foster.

The quilted maple is gorgeous and excellently finished to bring out all the chatoyance possible in this figured wood, and the form is well presented and showcased on the simple pyramid shaped black stand.

Much of Mike’s work is based on mathematical / geometric forms. His explanations are above my pay grade and make my head hurt, but, the end results are quite amazing.

full

Bill Boehme

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
pbase.com
Congratulations Michael Foster (@mfoster). This is an amazing turning from both an artistic perspective and as a math model of a complex geometric form. I have been a slack-jawed admirer of your work for many years. I often wondered how did you turn those amazing minimal surface geometric forms, the intricate radiolarians, the Fibonacci series, etc. Like Tom, it makes my head hurt, but in a good way. :D

Back