• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Peter Jacobson for "Red Winged Burl Bowl" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 29, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Turning of the Week for November 27, 2023

Bill Boehme

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
pbase.com
Whenever I search for the turning of the week, I look for something that conveys a message or feeling that demands closer inspection. I found that and more in an example of the maker's ability to think well outside the "round and brown" box ... something that really "resonated" both emotionally and electronically with me. That is why my choice for the turning of the week for November 27, 2023 is "KDKA" by Pat Miller. In his description, Pat said, "My early obsession was radio and electronics. Not into sports, I was the one holed up in his room disassembling some device, building something that might at least make smoke or late night scouring the AM bands searching ..." He, just as well, could have been talking about me. I knew well the pungent nuance of ozone, the result of arcing when insulation breaks down, as I became increasingly consumed by all things electronic back in the good old vacuum tube days where you could easily get fried alive (or otherwise) poking your fingers around in live circuits. This childhood misguided behavior meant I was doomed from early on to a life as an electrical engineer. Fortunately, I stumbled onto woodturning where abnormal is normal and misfits fit.

As everyone knows, KDKA is a 50 kW Clear Channel AM broadcast station in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania that claims to be the "Pioneer Broadcasting Station of the World". They began broadcasting over a century ago on November 2, 1920. Taking a closer look, my attention was immediately drawn to the 6Z5 "coke bottle" vacuum tube. It’s a six-pin full-wave rectifier that I can verify gets hot enough to blister your hide. The original box of the 6Z5 makes the KDKA theme complete. Thank you, Pat, for the ride down Memory Lane.

full

Hi Pat - Having grown up and spent a good portion of my life in the Pittsburgh area, I completely "got" the KDKA theme ...very cool Your artwork brought back many great memories of sitting on the front porch on a summer evening - listening to Pirates baseball games on a transistor AM radio with my brother and dad! Congrats & thank you!

Whenever I search for the turning of the week, I look for something that conveys a message or feeling that demands closer inspection. I found that and more in an example of the maker's ability to think well outside the "round and brown" box ... something that really "resonated" both emotionally and electronically with me. That is why my choice for the turning of the week for November 27, 2023 is "KDKA" by Pat Miller. In his description, Pat said, "My early obsession was radio and electronics. Not into sports, I was the one holed up in his room disassembling some device, building something that might at least make smoke or late night scouring the AM bands searching ..." He, just as well, could have been talking about me. I knew well the pungent nuance of ozone, the result of arcing when insulation breaks down, as I became increasingly consumed by all things electronic back in the good old vacuum tube days where you could easily get fried alive (or otherwise) poking your fingers around in live circuits. This childhood misguided behavior meant I was doomed from early on to a life as an electrical engineer. Fortunately, I stumbled onto woodturning where abnormal is normal and misfits fit.

As everyone knows, KDKA is a 50 kW Clear Channel AM broadcast station in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania that claims to be the "Pioneer Broadcasting Station of the World". They began broadcasting over a century ago on November 2, 1920. Taking a closer look, my attention was immediately drawn to the 6Z5 "coke bottle" vacuum tube. It’s a six-pin full-wave rectifier that I can verify gets hot enough to blister your hide. The original box of the 6Z5 makes the KDKA theme complete. Thank you, Pat, for the ride down Memory Lane.

full
Bill- Thank you so much for the TotW honors- This piece makes me smile every time I see it. For me being able to meld an item, a memory, a story, a process then sprinkle it with a bit of heart and soul and end up with a pleasant representation of all that is much of the appeal and reward. That folks from all walks take the time to stop, look, inquire and comment is icing on the cake.

A great example of why Pat’s creative mind intrigues me so much. One of the reasons the current smart people in the world can’t figure out how the Giza Pyramids were built is because they don't consider the ancient Pat Millers and their novel ideas!! Nice choice Bill and you go Pat!!

Congratulations, Pat! This is such a wonderful turning. Creative, with lots of thought and memories behind them. Love reading about the story behind it all. Just a fun piece to admire!

Website
www.ovwg.org
Pat, you seem to have a lot of creative and unique ideas here on the forum. Your especially seem to turn very frequently and post often on the gallery. It is definitely fitting you finally got your TOTW honors!

Back