• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Paul May for "Checkerboard (ver 3.0)" being selected as Turning of the Week for March 25, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Turning of the Week for October 18, 2021

Donna Banfield

TOTW Team
Not all wood needs surface embellishment and color. That's why I chose Greg Gallegos' Redwood Enchantment for TOTW on 10/18/21. Greg has taken a piece of green redwood burl and turned a simple, yet elegant form that allowed the heartwood and sapwood of this burl to take center stage. Greg is a true master of these green once-turned pieces. He chooses forms that will showcase the natural beauty of the wood, which only enhances as the wood moves and distorts naturally through the drying process. Greg, thank you for posting Redwood Enchantment, a true natural work of art.

full

Emiliano Achaval

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
hawaiiankoaturner.com
Beautiful piece. NE are my favorite to turn. Nicely done. A small nitpick would be to use a light deflector to shine some light below. I do that and I also shoot in RAW , I can brighten the shadows a lot if I have to with Lightroom. Congratulations Greg!

Bill Boehme

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
pbase.com
I agree with Emiliano. The turning is absolutely beautiful, but the shadow seems to be enhanced a bit too much, possibly because of HDR mode being used in your iPhone. The background paper beneath the turning is almost white and the wood is a middle brown, yet the shadow on the background paper is nearly black while the bottom of the turning is still light enough to see the details. I think that using a more diffuse light source such as a lightbox or shooting the light through an umbrella along with light modifiers such as gobos and bounce cards would help to get a good shadow with minimal enhancements.

Back