• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Peter Jacobson for "Red Winged Burl Bowl" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 29, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Turning of the Week for October 9, 2023

Michael Anderson

Super Moderator
Staff member
TOTW Team
My choice for Turning of the Week beginning Monday, October 9, 2023 is "Chock Full of Nuggets" by David Bartell.

David has succeeded in the challenging task of producing a body of work that is instantly recognizable as his own. His signature vessels are made in the Southwestern style, and often incorporate basket illusion techniques, paint/ink/dye, mixed media (in particular turquoise), and Mesquite wood. David's work is accomplished with mastery, and his finishes are well-executed and appropriate for each surface treatment. Above everything else David's forms are stellar and can be characterized by continuous flowing curves, crisp transitions, and proportions that allude to traditional Southwestern ceramic and woven vessels.

I have been privileged to view many of David's pieces on another online forum, and am happy to see that he started recently posting his work on the AAW forum. Of the four pieces David has shared, this one is my favorite. Overall, it exemplifies the variety of techniques that he employs in his work. The maroon and black colors work well together, and the turquoise nuggets are fascinating. I encourage everyone to zoom into the photo to better view the variation in shape and color of each piece of stone. I also appreciate that David left some of the cracks open, as it emphasizes the gnarled character typical of Mesquite. That said, the turquoise inlay in the larger cracks works very well. David also does a nice job of continuing the design into the upper interior of the vase, a feature that adds so much to the overall effect. His transitions between the body, neck, and lip are tastefully done, and offer a lot of great contrast between the added colors and the natural beauty of the wood. I would also be remiss if I didn't compliment the grain orientation of the piece--the hint of sapwood and the grain pattern that mimics the overall shape is top notch.

A note about the form itself: usually I would prefer a shorter neck, but in this case the design works very well. In my understanding this form is typical of Pueblo vessels that were intended to store food or liquid, the wide elongated neck allowing easy access and facilitating easy pouring. Interestingly, some vessels of this form were used to irrigate crops (see olla style vase). They would be buried and made of porous clay, so that when filled with water it would slowly seep into the surrounding soil. I can imagine the elongated neck was a practical feature for this usage as well. This post motivated me to read more about Southwestern pottery styles, and for that I am thankful.

For all of the above reasons, it is my pleasure to choose @David Bartell's vessel for this week's featured turning. Congratulations!

full

Last edited:
Wow, thank you so much. Michael, I am impressed with your research. I too have greatly enjoyed the study of Native American shapes and embellishments. It is interesting how some of the most appreciated shapes come from functional and necessary vessels. Being stationed in New Mexico for a number of years was a blessing and did help with focus on all of this. Thanks again for all the kind comments.

Congratulations David. This is a stellar piece. I saw your work at the gallery in Wimberly this past week and several of the pieces I have not seen at our club meetings. All of your art is a contribution to the tradition of Southwest Pueblo Indian art in the best way.

Congratulations David. This is a stellar piece. I saw your work at the gallery in Wimberly this past week and several of the pieces I have not seen at our club meetings. All of your art is a contribution to the tradition of Southwest Pueblo Indian art in the best way.
Thanks James. Your example, mentoring, encouragement and home collection of Indian art has meant a lot and I appreciate it.

David's work is accomplished with mastery, and his finishes are well-executed and appropriate for each surface treatment.
Congrats David. Your skills are inspirational. Michael, your critique of this exceptional artistic piece complements the piece and deepens my appreciation of David's abilities. You both rock.

Back