• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Ronald Campbell for "Guardian Penguin" being selected as Turning of the Week for June 10, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Turning of the week January 3, 2022

odie

TOTW Team
Panning for Montana gold, with Betsy, the mule!
I've always felt that simple shapes, in conjunction with Mother Nature's input......creates timeless beauty.

This bowl of Steven Forrest's, is a good example of the concept, and is this week's Turning Of The Week.

8.25 x 3.75 inches. Finished with Seal a Cell, Beall buffing, Doctor's wax/oil. Not sure what species of oak - my brother in law thought it might be blue oak. This was a tree on my in-laws' property in the Sierra foothills. After they died, it was brought down for fire safety. I gave this bowl to my grown son, so it will stay in the family where it belongs.

full

For the Member's photo gallery entry, click on the link:

-----odie-----

Last edited:

odie

TOTW Team
Now I recall this shape, as I've done one similar to this in the past......very appealing shape to the eye!

This is a "Japanese soup bowl"....did you have this in mind when you turned this one, Steven?

iu

Note: Yours is done much better, as this one has visible tool, or sanding marks.

-----odie-----

odie

TOTW Team
Odie, your bowl looks like a donburi bowl (Japanese rice bowl), but I'm not any kind of expert about Japanese bowls.

Me neither, Bill.....that's just a photo I pulled from an internet search, and labeled as a "Japanese soup bowl". It's a great shape, when done well. Obviously, this one could have been improved upon...

-----odie-----

@ Odie: Good choice!

@ Steven: You really brought the very best out of that wood. Simple yet perfect shape, foot with the right dimensions and - well spotted - you chose to "close" the top of the bowl with the black rim.
Well done!

Back