• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Turning, returning, and beginning again.

Part of aging is to reminisce. Since no one is forcing you to read this, I won't worry about boring you with my rambling.

About age 14, in the early 1960's, my father bought a Shopsmith with the lathe attachment and tools. At that age I turned a pair of offering plates (dad was a preacher)and the top and main support for a pair of plant stands. Then in the 1980's, I worked to help my two boys turn some simple candlesticks they gave as Christmas presents. Years passed and I inherited the Shopsmith which was suffering from wear over the years. My younger son bought a historic house that needed a lot of work to restore and bring to livability in the 21st century. One thing he needed were 45 spindles for the grand staircase. With the bearing wobble on the Shopsmith, I went shopping for a lathe. I found an old AMT lathe on Craigslist for $100 with some gouges and variable speed by configuring up to 3 belts on 3 pulleys. Without a replicator, I made the 45 spindles on the AMT

Then after a few years of caring for a wife with dementia, I longed to get back in the shop with her in a care center. The Shopsmith and AMT found other homes and a Nova Galaxy found a place of honor in the shop. Soon my inherited radial arm saw was replaced by a band saw and I was into turning bowls from the free acacia, sumac, and mesquite that started finding its way into my shop.

Going from the AMT where every change in speed was a matter of changing belts to simply rotating a knob is like comparing driving a Model T to driving a Tesla. But as my shop tools have seen a massive upgrade, my physical condition has degraded. My left hand shakes a lot and my right hand shakes less, but still shakes. While I once was employed based on my computer skills, just typing this requires very frequent correction. Despite hours of practice with a bowl gouge, I can't get it to do what I want it to do. However, with a sharp carbide tool with a square shaft that my left hand holds to the tool rest and a right hand tucking the handle against my body, I can make what, to me appear to be bowls. So, this old guy welcomes the new tools that allow me to enjoy turning despite my deteriorating physical condition.

Here is the chart from the AMT lathe along with a couple of my recent creations out of mesquite.

AMT Chart2.jpgbowl 1.jpgbowl 2.jpg

hockenbery

Forum MVP
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
www.hockenberywoodturning.com
However, with a sharp carbide tool with a square shaft that my left hand holds to the tool rest and a right hand tucking the handle against my body,

good for you! I assume you have connected with a local club Great place to exchange ideas.
have fun, work safely.

a local turner here produced award winning work using Carbide tools. In club demos he would use 6 or more tools to get the desired shape and surface that another turner might achieve with one gouge. Using gouges was not an option because his limited range of motion and turning from a scooter made it impossible for him to maintain bevel contact. He learned to use the carbides to a level that put him at the top level of the local turners. Sadly Bill passed away last year.

bill learned how to make what he wanted to by Mastering the use of carbides.
you seem to be on a similar path.

Thanks for the responses. I enjoy working with mesquite as the grain patterns can be beautiful and can dictate the shape that the piece will take.

I'll never compete for awards, and will never turn turning into a business. But if a friend or relative enjoys something I've made, that is my reward.

Saturday is a meeting of the local club. I plan to attend.

a local turner here produced award winning work using Carbide tools. In club demos he would use 6 or more tools to get the desired shape and surface that another turner might achieve with one gouge. Using gouges was not an option because his limited range of motion and turning from a scooter made it impossible for him to maintain bevel contact. He learned to use the carbides to a level that put him at the top level of the local turners. Sadly Bill passed away last year.
Always good to hear of folks who make my slight impairments seem trivial.

Happy turning!

@Jim Walters , have you considered using an articulated arm hollowing rig to stabilize your tools? I'm referring to the Simple Hollowing System or the Elbo. They are certainly not just for hollowing.

Bill Boehme

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
pbase.com
Thanks for sharing, Jim. You're doing great work. We're all headed in the same direction and I think that staying active and engaged in something is essential therapy. I'm finding that adapting to new ways of doing things is becoming an increasingly important challenge. Things that I used to easily lift are now too heavy to lift. My hands are reasonably steady, but my back balks at standing for very long. When typing my fingers don't always go where I tell them. You might want to try the free version of Grammarly. It is amazing that it is able to figure out what I meant to type based on what my fingers actually typed.

Despite the shaking, you're doing some beautiful work. If you can anchor one hand on the back of the tool rest and use your body to stabilize the other end, you should be able to continue turning. Maybe another club member or neighbor can help with some of the little tasks requiring steadiness. (replacing a carbide cutter, for example)

I feel for you, it's got to be really frustrating at times. My dad's hands shook, now my older brother's hands are beginning to shake the same way. Mine are still steady, but I've seen how it affects even the most simple daily tasks, and I worry that may be a trait I will also inherit.

Thanks for the encouragement.
You might want to try the free version of Grammarly.

Grammarly sounds like something that can help the typing. I'll try to get it installed.

If you can anchor one hand on the back of the tool rest and use your body to stabilize the other end, you should be able to continue turning
That is exactly how I do it. I still get occasional catches, but turning remains relaxing and rewarding.

Back