• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to John Shannon for "Walnut Bowl" being selected as Turning of the Week for May 27, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Turning Shows on West Coast?

Website
www.torne-lignum.com
I've been curious why there aren't any turning symposiums on the west coast.

I know there's UT and AZ in the southwest and TX right in the middle of the south, don't know if the one in CO is called a "symposium" or not. East of these states we have IL, OH, NY, FL, GA (GAW & SSS), VA, NC and (new last year) CT.

Washington and California have a huge amount of turners, why is there not a symposium near them?

Simply curious.

Ruth

Like you, I'm not aware of turning symposiums in California but there's more to the west coast than California. Last year AAW held its symposium in Portland Oregon. I suspect that those who plan such events have to consider how convenient the location might be for the greatest number of interested people. A symposium in Colorado might appeal to turners from all the surrounding states, perhaps a bit more, which involves a greater geographical area than the California and its surrounding states. Then, I suppose, they factor in the demographics as well. When planning an event like a symposium you want to get the greatest bang for your bucks.

Website
www.torne-lignum.com
Ralph, I was aware of the great show in BC last year. Is that an annual show?

George, I was more interested in regional shows that are held in the same state every year or every other year. The AAW is a great show but I'm trying to see if a cross-country trip, having a vendor's booth at regional shows to help pay the way, would be feasible.

There are 9 regional shows, a few every other year, in the east (not counting TX, but then TX is it's own Country! ;) ), and all are within a day's drive, albeit a Full day's drive. I love the regional shows.

Ruth

Website
www.ralphandellen.us
Ruth
I know it "used to be" less often then every year, but they held in 2006 and 2007, so????
If they hold it in 2008 we will know (since I do the club-newsletter for the Bremerton Wa chapter, I expect I will hear about it if they do)

ship's log

George, I was more interested in regional shows that are held in the same state every year or every other year. The AAW is a great show but I'm trying to see if a cross-country trip, having a vendor's booth at regional shows to help pay the way, would be feasible.

Ruth, if you do this, we (I) would like to see a daily update of your trip,
maybe based on a ship's log format, maybe leave out the flogging of seaman jenkins for being insolent :D

Ruth,

The San Diego Woodturners will be having our 2008 Mini-Symposium on Saturday, July 19th. This is a full day of demos. You can check out our webpage at www.sdwt.org

Hal Gorss

drh

vancouver symposium

I believe the next symposium hosted by the Greater Vancouver Woodturner's Guild will be Sept. 2009. But to confirm that date, go to www.gvwg.ca and email someone on the executive, they'll be able to confirm.

Molly Winton

AAW Board Member
AAW Board Member
Website
www.turningmaven.com
Is that all it takes??

Is that all it takes to get you out here?? In that case, I'll host a symposium in my shop, and you can come out and be my vendor. We may not get huge attendance, but it'll be a great excuse to get you to visit!!

Back