• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Turning with MS

I was recently approached by a woman with MS who asked if it would be possible for her to learn how to turn. It should be noted that she very limited use of her right arm and no way to actually grip a tool handle or shaft with her right hand.

I tried a very brief experiment with her using any E-Z tool just laying her right hand on the tool shank to hold in on the tool rest and then controlling the cutting action with her left hand. We only had a short iime with this as she other things to do.
Any suggestions and how to help her?

People with a weak grip do better with a larger diameter and 'sticky' grip. EVA foam on a regular handle, larger diameter with vet wrap or bike/racquet tape wrapped around, are possible solutions. If she has an occupational therapist she works with, the OT would be a good resource to ask for suggestions.

If she literally can't use her right hand, there may be solutions, but they're harder to come by. Your having her turn left handed would be one potential help.

As you know, many people have the type of MS that gets worse and gets better and moves around, so what she's dealing with this month may not be the same next month.

Good luck and thanks for helping her.

Spindle turning can be done almost exclusively left-handed, even though most people learn to do it right-handed.

Gloves are moderately to very sketchy for turners with average abilities and skill levels. I don’t think I would recommend them to a beginner who has restricted or unpredictable movements. Improving grip by modifying tool handles with tape seems like a better solution.

Last edited:

hockenbery

Forum MVP
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
www.hockenberywoodturning.com
What might work is using the left hand forward and holding the tool handle between the upper arm and body.

I’ve found the few handicapped people I’ve worked with were a good at coping. With the lathe off - I’d show them where the tool edge had to go and how I would do it. Then they would show me how they could make that happen. I might offer a correction to their movement or grip. When a couple dry runs looked good. Try it with the lathe running. Then tweak…
Sometimes you end up trying another tool or another cut if you aren’t getting results.

I did hear of some turning being done with wounded vets that used hollowing systems with carbides on the outside. A Simon Hope rig and even a jamieson be set up turn on the the side of the lathe. Be a real easy setup on a lathe that has a short bed perpendicular to the ways.
stubby had this and several other lathes too.

Last edited:
Also,
there're other dexterity problems to solve. Example, how to loosen or tighten set screws on the tool holder, or rotate/change out a carbide insert.

Let me add some clarification. My wife and I teach youth woodturning at the Greenville Woodworkers Guild every Wednesday from 9 till 1. Just as we were finishing up the class my wife struck up a conversation with the woman with MS. this ultimately led her to ask if it was possible for her to turn given her MS. We only had about 10 minutes with her due to other commitments. The woman wears a leg brace on her right leg, she has almost no motion in her right arm but could rest it on the tool shank for the short turning test, her fingers on right hand cannot grip since they are somewhat fixed into a slight curl. We hope to get back with her next Wednesday. BTW she is learning to do some woodworking at the guild and her husband is a woodworker and has some shop equipment, but not sure if he a turner.

Website
www.southplainswoodturners.org
Russ and All,
I am a long time cyclist, volunteer, and fundraiser with the National MS Society. The NMSS has a lot of resources for living a full life that has goals and suggestions for all of us. Here is one PDF: https://nms2cdn.azureedge.net/cmssi...s/documents/live-fully-live-well-workbook.pdf

With winter coming, I would be especially careful about falls and fall prevention.
https://nms2cdn.azureedge.net/cmssi...es/brochure-minimizing-your-risk-of-falls.pdf

Exercise https://www.nationalmssociety.org/Living-Well-With-MS/Diet-Exercise-Healthy-Behaviors/Exercise

If you have her in a class consider taking some hi rez photos and writing a stroy for the AW.

National MS Society — The Society’s mission is to empower people affected by MS to live their best lives as we stop MS in its tracks, restore what has been lost, and end MS forever. Our vision is a world free of MS. To learn more about wellness programs and activities in your area, contact an MS Navigator at 1-800-344-4867 or contactusnmss@nmss.org, or visit nationalMSsociety.org/Chapters. Can Do Multiple Sclerosis — Can Do Multiple Sclerosis is a national nonprofit organization that changes lives of people living with MS and their support partners by delivering transformational programs on exercise, nutrition and symptom management to inspire and motivate, while helping the MS community thrive. To learn more about programs in your area or online resources, contact Can Do MS at 800-367-3101, or visit MScando.org/programs.

Let us know how it works out. Kent Crowell, Lubbock Tx

Back