• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Turning Wood Buttons

I know there must be some info out there on how to make wood buttons for garments.

I need to make a bunch of 1" to 1-3/4" natural wood buttons out of hard Maple, but not sure how to start.

Most old wood buttons were not end grain but flat grain and it looks like they made a patterned cutter to use so that they are all identical.

Ideas?

Essentially, a bowl or platter, but smaller. I'd turn the outside rim between centers, of a size to just barely fit inside a standard pvc pipe. Which will be used to hold it for turning the inside. Cut 4-8 partial slots in the pipe to allow squeezing with a hose clamp. Grip the pipe in a scroll chuck, with a spacer dowel to place the part near the end of the pipe. Depending on complexity, a patterned cutter might be best for the inside, although a simple template works well too.

For large quantities, I'd do each step on all the pieces in one setup - all the outsides, then all the inside back or front, then all the inside front or back. Finally, drill the thread holes. A cross-slide drill press vise can help to align the holes, with 3 or 4 buttons temporarily attached to a wood block with hot-melt glue. (The vise grips the wood block.)

For spray finishing of very light objects, I've used push pins in a piece of cardboard, with double-face tape on the back to hold the heads against wobbling. The pins leave little evidence of contact.

To assist "identical" buttons, make several extra, and group them by eye, placing each group in small plastic baggies.

How many are in your "bunch?" 50? 100? 1000? And how many different sizes?

There was an article in one of the magazines 2 or 3 years ago showing how to turn buttons. I did some on my 3520. the difficult part was getting the holes done. You might do a search on here, maybe it was the AAW Journal??

that was the smallest thing i've turned on my big lathe.

Bill

hockenbery

Forum MVP
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
www.hockenberywoodturning.com
If you are doing lots of buttons you want to make the mount on off fast.
making a 2 pin drive mandrel that fits in your 4 jaw chuck or better yet on a wooden Morse taper will be well worth the time.
the two pins fit in opposite button holes.

drill the holes first. either make a template or a jig on the drill press easy to do with square pieces.
This is a mind numbing job so remain alert or you'll get hurt.
put brass rods in two holes to stack the buttons 10 to 20 deep. Mount the stack between centers centered on the holes.
Cut the outside diameter. If you aren't good at turning cylinders, you will be. In the beginning you could cut 3 or 4 pieces to diameter very carefully an insert them in your stack to use as a guide. After the first stack the two end button will have center marks an you probably just reuse these. I would use a cup drive center or steb center.

turn all the faces
then make a wooden jamb chuck with a hole in the bottom.
press the blank in the jamb chuck turn (and sand if needed) the face.
pop out with a knock out rod.

make a wooden mandrel with two pins (brass rod sections) that fit opposing button holes. on the tailstock you'll need a small diameter flat 1/2 or less covered with leather. You can turn a wooden cover for most any live center that has straight sides on the revolving part. If you have a oneway live center get a Flat extension point from Bruce Campbell http://www.artisansworkbench.com/Product info/Extension Points/extension_points.htm
glue on a piece of leather with CA or something you can clean off.

put the button on the mandrel bring up the covered flat live center, turn the edge. This has to be done last as you may change the diameter ever so slightly. sand if need

have fun.
Al

Last edited:
Back