• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Paul May for "Checkerboard (ver 3.0)" being selected as Turning of the Week for March 25, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Union Graduate

Emiliano Achaval

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
hawaiiankoaturner.com
My old mentor Cole Warren is getting out of woodturning. A few months ago he sold his Powermatic. That is coming up for sale again, the retired police officer is moving back to the mainland...
Today I got the call I have been waiting for. He sold me his completely refurbished in England Union Graduate lathe!! My studio will be styling now!! An Australian Stubby 750 and now a Brittish Union Graduate!
Before I start ordering chucks and adaptors, I will wait till Monday, when I have to go and pick it up. He said there are a lot of extras just for my new British beauty. I think this is a better choice than the Powematic that I have been waiting for... Looks like the spindle is bigger than my Stubby... Super excited about this....

Attachments

• IMG_9939.JPG
    IMG_9939.JPG
    157.9 KB · Views: 204

Emiliano Achaval

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
hawaiiankoaturner.com
congratulations. I always like those machines but not being much of a bowl turner I doubt I would use it much.
It's a beauty! John, I asked before, would you like to give us a live remote demo to our club? If you are set up, you could use your club's set up... Of course, we want to learn how to do the mirrors... Aloha.

Emiliano Achaval

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
hawaiiankoaturner.com
Congratulations!
I have some friends who own and love them.
Joe Dicky added electronic controls.

Have fun
This one has been refitted with the variturn, 3 pulleys with variable speed, 100 to 2600 or so... Super happy!

Last edited:

Emiliano Achaval

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
hawaiiankoaturner.com
I've only seen one in person. My impression was that it was a bit shorter than I prefer. Nice little machines though! Congrats.
Well, yes, they were made for schools in England, Kids tend to be short, lol. Everybody makes a stand for them, I'm making mine out cement, 3.5 inches tall...

Website
www.revolvingarts.ca
Congrats. I’ve never seen one in person, but they look to be an excellent design.

I’ve also made bases for most of my machines and concrete really is best.
I assume the lathe has bolt holes in the corners?

On my big drill press, I took threaded rod, about 12”, bent the ends, and embedded that in the concrete. So the corner bolts just stuck up.

Then dropped the machine over top, and bolted it down. its rock solid.

Last edited:
So the once in a blue moon event happen this weekend. I found two bowl lathes available at the same time. I checked out the Union Graduate, and planning to see the Vega. I figure one of these can be a good choice while I'm waiting for the Stubby. The Union Graduate do have a wobbly spindle and at this point I'm not sure what the root cause is. Could that be a worn bearing or something worse?

I notice the spindle is wobbly as I put in a spur drive and get the lathe running. Same as I screw on a chuck.

Visible spindle run-out, like you describe, would be a big red X for me. I'd politely walk away. Not saying it couldn't be fixed, but how long and how much, for a "temporary" lathe? I'd go look at the Vega.

If you hadn't told me the brand name of that lathe, I would have guessed a VB36, but they used to be green. Looks like a good bowl lathe. I am going to have to come over there for a visit some time... Oh, a play date...

robo hippy

Randy Anderson

Beta Tester
Beta Tester
Website
www.etsy.com
I've never seen one like this. Looks like a stout piece of machinery. Since 99.9% of what I do is bowl or hollow form turning this would be great but, not likely. My current lathe is much longer than I ever use so it would be nice to be able to switch to something much shorter like this.

Emiliano, I turn on one every day, and cannot imagine ever replacing it. Mine is a long bed. I lowered the bed so it is a 20 inch lathe. I replaced the motor with a 2hp and added the same vfd as you recently bought from Jack. The spindle is 1 1/2 x 6 tpi. One-way has taperlock spindle adapters for their Stronghold chucks that are both lh and rh threads that work very well. Inboard side is right hand thread, outboard is left hand. Bearings are nice and beefy, and fairly easy to replace if necessary. I think you will enjoy it.

My old mentor Cole Warren is getting out of woodturning. A few months ago he sold his Powermatic. That is coming up for sale again, the retired police officer is moving back to the mainland...
Today I got the call I have been waiting for. He sold me his completely refurbished in England Union Graduate lathe!! My studio will be styling now!! An Australian Stubby 750 and now a Brittish Union Graduate!
Before I start ordering chucks and adaptors, I will wait till Monday, when I have to go and pick it up. He said there are a lot of extras just for my new British beauty. I think this is a better choice than the Powematic that I have been waiting for... Looks like the spindle is bigger than my Stubby... Super excited about this....
That is one serious bowl lathe. Green with envy!

Get him to sign it

Back