• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Versaflo belt question

To protect my already damaged lungs, I bought a Versaflo and love it, but no matter how tight I make the belt, it keeps slipping down. My preferancee is to put the weight on my shoulders, so I was considering a backpack, but don't want to impede airflow to the unit. Suspenders? Any ideas are welcome.

In the last month I have put a Versaflo into service and I love it.
Jim, I suffer from some middle age expansion but I have not experience the problem you describe. I do, however, remember 3M offering a backpack arrangement.

If you have no hips like me, suspenders are a must have option. However, they keep my pants up as I use a different system not the versaflo.
Jay

i see that 3M has both a backpack and suspenders for the versaflo. The shoulder straps for the suspemders appear in the photo like a good backpack strap. Has anyone used the suspenders? Any homemade solutions?

Cobbled together a backpack to try out the concept. Found that I prefer the belt slung low. Having my center of gravity lower when wobbling around the shop in that space suit feels better.

This topic was discussed a year or two ago, and you might find some additional helpful responses if you do a search.

I wound up fabricating my own belt with some 2" webbing, velcro and a quick release buckle. Works a lot better than the 3M belt that came with my system.

I use the 3M backpack. My anatomy is such that the belt falls down unless cinched really tight, to the point of discomfort. It's not perfect, but it works.
We must have anatomical similarities. I'm considering the suspenders which are cheaper and also have wide padded shoulder straps. Living in the warmer climate. I want to minimize layers.

I wound up fabricating my own belt with some 2" webbing, velcro and a quick release buckle. Works a lot better than the 3M belt that came with my system.
Interesting solution. Part of my problem seems to be with how slick the leather belt is. Webbing might keep a grip on clothing rather than sliding down as one moves around the shop.

I am interested in the Milwaukee Padded Suspension Rig also. Picture or link would be helpful.
The Milwaukee rig has high quality boat snaps to fasten to their tool belt. To keep the blower unit in the center of my back, i cut 2 pieces of webbing and punched a hole to connect to the rig. to keep them separated, a pop rivet from the one layer and into a belt hole does the trick. On the front, a couple of extra holes allow the boat snaps to hold. Here are a couple of pics.
tool belt.jpgbelt back.jpg

Bill Boehme

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
pbase.com
Here is a post in the epic 3M Versaflo M-407 thread from five years ago where I modified a 3M RBE/VST tactical vest to move the 3M BreatheEasy turbo unit from a belt that wouldn’t stay up to the middle of my back where it is much more comfortable and stays in place.

Back