• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Versaflo - what to buy

Greetings and salutations all,
I have a question somewhat peripheral to this discussion, I have some breathing issues and am currently using an Elipse respirator, with my beard trimmed well back seems to feel like fresh air is coming in. Is something like the Trend unit or the JSP significantly more effective? Being a cheap old phart I am looking for an optimal cost/benefit soulution.

Thank you for any elucidation!
best, Spike

Any filtering device that needs to make a seal against your face is going to be compromised by most beards. That's just the physics. So the cheapest solution (not necessarily a desirable one) is to go clean shaven.

Assuming you want to keep your look, and you also want better air filtration than you are getting, then you need to consider a powered air purifying respirator (PAPR). There are now several choices on the market, but I think they are all between much more and way way more expensive than the Elipse.

Thanks for your input Mark. I shave in the path of the respirators seal, more so than in the photo over there!
if we assume that I am getting a good seal, then what are the functional differences between the half face respirators and the battery powered whole head versions?
Best, Spike

Website
www.reallyruralwoodworks.com
PAPRs are more like a positive pressure respirator - They will flow fresh *filtered* air *outwards* so if you don't have a good seal (due to beard, etc) you still are not getting dust INTO the mask/respirator, IMHO, and as far as I am concerned, it'd be the best choice (assuming you have the money to buy one with, which unfortunately, I do not, or I would, despite the seemingly high cost) I may even experiment this winter and see if I can score a used COPD machine (might find something at goodwill or FB marketplace) and see if I can utilize it to "fabricate" my own (I'm thinking just a basic full face shield, and stitch or glue on a hood / extra face sealing, etc) and figure a filter for the air pump, and some lightweight hose , which might possibly work, and be fairly cheap.. probably far better than pretty much any passive respirator I can get considering nothing would seal around my beard (and nothing seems to prevent glasses fogging, which is my most frustrating issue)

The whole face powered versions do not fog up glasses, not as hot on the face, easier to breath since you do not have to overcome the inlet check valve and filter, and are far more comfortable. As far as safety, most of the shields of these systems are rated for impact. Both styles will functionally protect the lungs with appropriate filters. Its really about comfort.

I also have a full beard, and was unsatisfied by the various half mask filters, good though they may be (Ellipse, Trend, etc.), because you just can't get a seal. Neck/shoulder issues argued against something with all the goodies in the hat itself (Trend Airshield, Peke, etc.) Full PAPR systems are super expensive. What to do? I use a basic Versaflow helmet (impact rated, with elastic shroud for PAPR) linked up via the expensive proprietary hose to a cheap, generic CPAP hose, to PVC. Pvc runs through a wall to the other half of the garage, which has fresh air/no dust. In line fan takes air from the clean side, blows it through PVC, CPAP, and out the Versaflow. No fogging, no dust, quiet, and the helmet, although not feather light, is well balanced, and it has been easier on my neck than even the Bionic was. Total cost was about $400 or so a few years ago - helmet, fan, and specialized tubing were most of it. The rest was generic/off the shelf. No expensive filters to replace, no expensive batteries to charge. I've been very satisfied. The only drawback is that, unlike the self contained PAPR, I am tethered, and have to spin around sometimes to not get tangled up if I'm ranging beyond the lathe, but it's no big deal. Tubing hangs behind me, looped with a belt - no safety issue as far as tangling up in the lathe. There were a couple of older threads that go into great detail around this - you could search for them if interested.

Back