• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Paul May for "Checkerboard (ver 3.0)" being selected as Turning of the Week for March 25, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Wahuda lathe?

Ah, I see. Well shoot, just keep selling and you’ll be there in no time! Solid work. Is that a granite disc in the middle of your cigar tray? Nice touch.
3” stone puck from Amazon. $1 each but they look great.

No one believes I’ve only been doing wood turning for 6 months. I never really tried woodworking before.

Before I was disabled by four strokes in 2016, I was a foot surgeon and we did a lot of very fine carpentry type work on the small bones of the foot and ankle. We used tiny nitrogen powered drills and saws and really fine screws, plates, countersinks etc.

So I think that prepared me for woodworking.

I was paralyzed on my left side at the time, but I’ve had a really remarkable physical recovery. My disability is due to post stroke fatigue. I can’t stay awake for a normal work day.

A couple weeks ago I found an antique Barnes foot pedal powered lathe for $400. The seller had no idea what it was and just wanted it out of his house and advertised it as best offer. I knew what I was but had no idea of it’s value. It came with an incredible collection of rare original Barnes parts and numerous other metal lathe accessories.

Unfortunately my good friend who is also my landlord didn’t want it in his work shop area he lets me share, so he wanted me to sell it.

I am delivering it this week for $2000.

And just found a barely used Nova DVR XP today on Marketplace, which I’ll now be picking up this week instead of the other options discussed in this thread.

The seller also has a Powermatic 3520. He says he worked in product research and development for Woodcraft and used their lathes in product development, so he said this one has barely been used. It includes an unused outrigger and swing away hinge in the unopened original package.
D1760EA2-25D6-4FA6-844C-F4C50BA713E7.jpeg

Michael Anderson

Super Moderator
Staff member
TOTW Team
Nice find with that Nova! Sometimes the universe gives you gifts. And right, being a foot surgeon certainly gave you solid attention to detail. Cheers!

No that you have provided info about situation limitations - always helpful to provide as much info as possible - my pick in that situation would be a Nova Neptune, the most powerful motor in the class. Yes it is in early release “beta” stage. The motor drive/control system has been proven over ~20 years in lathes and drill presses.

As soon as I found out about this lathe a couple months ago I ordered one. It was supposed to ship about right now but I got an email the other day that it won't be here til next month. I was really hoping it would have been here for the hands on with Michael Kehs at the end of the month, oh well.

A couple weeks ago I found an antique Barnes foot pedal powered lathe for $400. The seller had no idea what it was and just wanted it out of his house and advertised it as best offer. I knew what I was but had no idea of it’s value. It came with an incredible collection of rare original Barnes parts and numerous other metal lathe accessories.

Unfortunately my good friend who is also my landlord didn’t want it in his work shop area he lets me share, so he wanted me to sell it.

I am delivering it this week for $2000.

And just found a barely used Nova DVR XP today on Marketplace, which I’ll now be picking up this week instead of the other options discussed in this thread.

The seller also has a Powermatic 3520. He says he worked in product research and development for Woodcraft and used their lathes in product development, so he said this one has barely been used. It includes an unused outrigger and swing away hinge in the unopened original package.
View attachment 51907
Brian, I have had my Nova DVR 3000 for well over 20 years and it still runs like a champ. I see that yours has the updated control with variable speed knob, you'll love that as I could never go back to just pushing the buttons for speed control. Good for you, enjoy!

Brian, I have had my Nova DVR 3000 for well over 20 years and it still runs like a champ. I see that yours has the updated control with variable speed knob, you'll love that as I could never go back to just pushing the buttons for speed control. Good for you, enjoy!
Thanks Bill, really good to know. I have only seen positive opinions regarding this model Nova, nothing negative at all.

Suspect you will be very pleased with the dvr xp. For the small stuff you showed, no need to do this, but if you decide to turn some bigger/heavier things, figure out a way to add a couple 100# or more of ballast to the lathe.

I see that yours has the updated control with variable speed knob, you'll love that as I could never go back to just pushing the buttons for speed control.
I hadn’t even noticed this until I re-read your post just now.
A856C7AB-44AE-430B-B2CD-B34958CF3229.jpeg

I’m assuming that means this was a more recently manufactured version.

I had seen several comments on this and other internet sites about needing to upgrade the controller to get the variable speed knob, something I feel is important on my current Rikon. It’s good to know I don’t have to worry about that.

I hadn’t even noticed this until I re-read your post just now.
View attachment 51916

I’m assuming that means this was a more recently manufactured version.

I had seen several comments on this and other internet sites about needing to upgrade the controller to get the variable speed knob, something I feel is important on my current Rikon. It’s good to know I don’t have to worry about that.
I know that it was offered as an upgrade

I would definitely recommend a Nova. Look for a used Nova Saturn DVR and you’ll be happy for many, many years! I even added an extension rail to it as you can add multiple. I also added the outrigger platform. It is a spectacular lathe!

I would definitely recommend a Nova. Look for a used Nova Saturn DVR and you’ll be happy for many, many years! I even added an extension rail to it as you can add multiple. I also added the outrigger platform. It is a spectacular lathe!
I think this Nova DVR XP was a recent forerunner of sorts of their current DVR offerings. It’s specs are very similar to the Nova Saturn.

Last edited:

View attachment 51907
You're going to love it. Especially since some the accessories are no longer available. The hinged bed extension is great for getting the tailstock out of the way.

You're going to love it. Especially since some the accessories are no longer available. The hinged bed extension is great for getting the tailstock out of the way.
Great thanks. He says he has a spare Super Nova 2 chuck with the 1 1/4” insert he’ll sell me for $100 too. Seems a decent price. I have a Nova g3 but I prefer the hex tool type operation of the Super Novas.

The speed control upgrade was/is available for any of the DVRs that had above a certain software number. Here is a pdf file on how to use it.

Attachments

• SKU 55523 DVR XP Control Panel Upgrade Manual 06.12.2016.pdf
    1.2 MB · Views: 8
Great thanks. He says he has a spare Super Nova 2 chuck with the 1 1/4” insert he’ll sell me for $100 too. Seems a decent price. I have a Nova g3 but I prefer the hex tool type operation of the Super Novas.
No, thats an excellent price if the chuck is in decent shape. Keep both chucks, it reduces changing jaws, and I believe both chucks use the same jaw sets.

I brought the Nova DVR XP home late last night.

The factory legs on the Nova put the spindle about 7” below my elbow height, so I kind of did a hybrid mount today. This way the spindle is at the same height my Rikon was, and I could use my bench but also keep more of the bench top free as a work area. The bench is not supporting all the weight of the Nova lathe this way either.

Maybe it's a dumb idea but it works for me.
I’ll probably swap out some lumber for the cinder blocks in the future.

I screwed the big bolts that originally held the casters back into the bottom of each leg, so I could adjust them to put more weight on the blocks and take it off the bench top.

Now to mount the swing away hinge and outrigger.

But it runs and purrs like a kitten, from 0 to 5000rpm.A4729E49-DF86-4F21-AE66-B5951FA2C1C3.jpeg
E7EFFEAF-033B-4DB7-993A-E1731CF63D48.jpeg
DBE2F8D8-1BF3-415C-AF5D-5AA5744162B7.jpeg

Last edited:
I brought the Nova DVR XP home late last night.

The factory legs on the Nova put the spindle about 7” below my elbow height, so I kind of did a hybrid mount today. This way the spindle is at the same height my Rikon was, and I could use my bench but also keep more of the bench top free as a work area. The bench is not supporting all the weight of the Nova lathe this way either.

Maybe it's a dumb idea but it works for me.
I’ll probably swap out some lumber for the cinder blocks in the future.

I screwed the big bolts that originally held the casters back into the bottom of each leg, so I could adjust them to put more weight on the blocks and take it off the bench top.

Now to mount the swing away hinge and outrigger.

But it runs and purrs like a kitten, from 0 to 5000rpm.View attachment 51968
View attachment 51981
View attachment 51980
I revised how I mounted the Nova on my wood lathe bench. I just didn’t like the looks of it, half on legs, half on the bench. I built a bit of an extension to the bench top and tied it into the frame with some rough cut 4x4 oak buttresses.
B4232FD6-69D0-4AE3-9943-613122AAC947.jpeg

@Brian Kopp if you turn bowls bigger than ~6”, use the outrigger to hollow. Swing the spindle ~120 deg, about inline with the outrigger pivot. The outrigger setup takes some use to figure out how to move the pivot arm, slide the banjo post, etc to get it where it needs to be, but after a few bowls it gets easy.

@Brian Kopp if you turn bowls bigger than ~6”, use the outrigger to hollow. Swing the spindle ~120 deg, about inline with the outrigger pivot. The outrigger setup takes some use to figure out how to move the pivot arm, slide the banjo post, etc to get it where it needs to be, but after a few bowls it gets easy.
Thanks. I do plan on using that feature for a number of things, including but not limited to bowls.

I have tested swinging the headstock outboard and I have noticed it’s not as easy to return it to perfect alignment with the tail stock as I’d hoped. Is a lathe alignment test bar / mandrel important for this? Or is it just as easy to mount a pointed drive and live center and eyeball it (my current method)?

I have tested swinging the headstock outboard and I have noticed it’s not as easy to return it to perfect alignment with the tail stock as I’d hoped. Is a lathe alignment test bar / mandrel important for this? Or is it just as easy to mount a pointed drive and live center and eyeball it (my current method)?
The amount of play and position is adjustable for the TS with the guides. I adjusted mine until the points of a drive center and live center lined up, when I “preloaded” (pushed by hand) the HS and TS against their stops and had alignment. When I return the HS to center, or move the TS, I know to push each to position and lock down. Very simple and easy - well, adjusting the TS isnt easy, but its a one and done deal.

The amount of play and position is adjustable for the TS with the guides. I adjusted mine until the points of a drive center and live center lined up, when I “preloaded” (pushed by hand) the HS and TS against their stops and had alignment. When I return the HS to center, or move the TS, I know to push each to position and lock down. Very simple and easy - well, adjusting the TS isnt easy, but its a one and done deal.
Which model lathe do you have? I haven’t noticed any way to adjust tail stock alignment, only headstock.

Nova alignment procedure for DVR lathes. I just used center points vs the special tool. Good ‘nuff for me, but the tool would make it easier - its been a one time need for me.

Hi folks,
I currently have a Rikon 70-1218vs lathe and I’m mostly happy with it. It is 3/4 hp, variable speed across three belt settings, and 12” capacity for bowls etc.

I’m now running into some projects for which I wish I had a little more powerful motor, and I would like to have both reverse and a little more swing capacity.

I’ve been searching Facebook marketplace for a while to see what’s out there with a little more hp, a little more swing capacity and reverse. I’ve looked at the offerings from Rikon, Jet, Shop Fox, Grizzly etc. Laguna lathes are great but well out of my price range unfortunately.

I gather from online reviews and comments to stay away from units with Reeve’s drive as well as any whose minimum rpm speed is too high. I don’t need an outboard turning option and have read it may be difficult to return lathes with outboard turning to its primary position. I’ve seen a lot more negative comments about Grizzly than the rest. I have not seen many comments at all about Delta lathes anywhere.

In my research I recently stumbled upon a brand I had never heard of before, Wahuda. They mostly sell planers and jointers.

They only sell one wood lathe, model 60170ML-WHD, a 14” swing model with a 1hp AC motor with electronic variable speed and “inverter technology…to keep constant torque at various speed settings.” It also has reverse and a corded magnetic on/off/speed control switch that can be placed anywhere on the lathe. Retail price comes in around $1,000.
View attachment 51384View attachment 51385
I haven’t found any other brands/models sold in America that offer this set of options at this price point. However I can’t find out much about this particular lathe brand/model or reviews on it.

The unit might(?) be the same as the Axminster Trade AT350WL sold in England but I haven’t yet found anyone else selling this model lathe in the US. The Axminster lathe gets pretty good / solid reviews on their site.

Does anyone have any personal experience with or general knowledge of this particular lathe brand, Wahuda? Any reason to avoid it?
I have a wahuda 10 inch desktop jointer with carbide cutters. It is the largest desktop on the market that I have found and I’m very happy with it so I would consider buying other products from them but I don’t have experiences with their lathes.

if you decide to eventually upgrade out of the midi range I have a Nova Orion 18 inch DVR lathe that I like a lot. It comes set for 110 but you can convert it to 220 by just replacing the plug, no wiring changes other than that since it auto senses the voltage. By going to 220 you pick up another 1/4 hp. I like the DVR because it detects and can adjust the actual speed of the lathe. It also detects and gives me an error if i do something stupid like turning it on with the lock engaged. Of course, the price of a new one is more than a midi costs.

I have a wahuda 10 inch desktop jointer with carbide cutters. It is the largest desktop on the market that I have found and I’m very happy with it so I would consider buying other products from them but I don’t have experiences with their lathes.

if you decide to eventually upgrade out of the midi range I have a Nova Orion 18 inch DVR lathe that I like a lot. It comes set for 110 but you can convert it to 220 by just replacing the plug, no wiring changes other than that since it auto senses the voltage. By going to 220 you pick up another 1/4 hp. I like the DVR because it detects and can adjust the actual speed of the lathe. It also detects and gives me an error if i do something stupid like turning it on with the lock engaged. Of course, the price of a new one is more than a midi costs.
Thanks.

I did subsequently find a used Nova DVR XP with the upgraded controls and got it all set up last week. I’m very happy with it, 1 3/4hp on 110v, 16” swing over the bed, 29” swing outboard. I’m pretty excited to have found it.

Back