• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Peter Jacobson for "Red Winged Burl Bowl" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 29, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Wash your hands

Website
www.la-truciolara.com
Yes, do wash your hands, but enjoy doing it in a sink that you would have turned yourself. :)
The one below was exposed at the 4 days event ,“la Passion du Boisâ€Â, in Grenoble France, together with plenty of other turned art work.
Grenoble%2006.jpg

Claude,
Now you went and done it. My wife is going to be overjoyed when she sees her new bathroom sink. We are remodeling a bathroom and we both agreed we wanted something unique in the way of bathroom fixtures. Now if I could build a toilet....

Website
www.gvpencheff.com
cypher said:
If this is actually to be used, what type of finish would be used that would handle the abuse of constant water, soap, dirt, and cleaning?
I have no idea how long it's going to last but a year ago I turned a small drink coaster thingy out of hard maple and sprayed it with about three coats of Spar polyurethane. I keep my Lava soap and nail brush in the thing next to my utility sink. I've washed it a bunch of times by using the nail brush like a scrub brush to remove the typical Lava scummy buildup from the bottom. It still looks new!

I might add the thing is nowhere near a window so is not exposed to strong UV. Maybe that's why it's lasting? Dunno.

Don't think I'd trust a couple coats of spray poly on a sink though.

GA Darling said:
Claude,
Now you went and done it. My wife is going to be overjoyed when she sees her new bathroom sink. We are remodeling a bathroom and we both agreed we wanted something unique in the way of bathroom fixtures.

Now if I could build a toilet....

When I was a kid growing up, we had relatives that had a wooden toilet. The room had a half moon on the door. You needed to walk a little to get to it.

Run that one by your wife :)

Clem

Website
www.la-truciolara.com
cypher said:
If this is actually to be used, what type of finish would be used that would handle the abuse of constant water, soap, dirt, and cleaning?
For the finish, resistant to soap and to all the products my admiral will use for cleaning I found two products in France, and do not know the equivalent but I’m pretty sure the second your be well known (even if the spelling might differ:
The first is DIP ETANCHE
The second : Saturateur XYLOPROPYLENE

GA Darling said:
Claude,
Now if I could build a toilet....
:D It sure would necessitate deep hollowing. Last time I sat on a wooden toilet it was a double sitter in a farm in Sweeden (back in 1954….) Two openings on a wooden bench over… better not to say.

Really guys... I was thinking of something a little more modern and a little closer to the house. :D :D Besides, the Sears catalog isn't what it used to be.

However, just to mess with the wife I'm going to draw up an outhouse. By the way, she loved the sink.

Chris Wright (Spinner) over on Woodturners Resources has turned at least one sink bowl. You might contact him and ask what finish he used on his. I think it came up in the photo section or the boards and he told what he used. If you do a search it ought to come up.

Good luck!

Sears catalog! Y'all lived high on the hog. Corn kernels where not the only part of the corn you saw twice. And no you did not want to make a pen out of it when you where done with it.

Back