• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Peter Jacobson for "Red Winged Burl Bowl" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 29, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Wayne Tafuro

New here but not new to woodworking. Been a woodworker for many years but had to back off as I got older (I'm 77). I just couldn't sling around the 4X8 sheets of 3/4 inch plywood anymore. I did a lot of case work and furniture, and I did my own milling. That just got too heavy for me as well. I didn't want to leave woodworking and I remembered picking up my grandfather from work one day when I was a teenager and he was turning spindles for a company at 81 years old, so I figured I'd give it a try and I am really enjoying myself. Still in a learning curve but I'm making a lot of sawdust again. I'm concentrating on bowl making and doing a little resin pouring as well. I hope to combine the two as I get better at turning.

New here but not new to woodworking. Been a woodworker for many years but had to back off as I got older (I'm 77). I just couldn't sling around the 4X8 sheets of 3/4 inch plywood anymore. I did a lot of case work and furniture, and I did my own milling. That just got too heavy for me as well. I didn't want to leave woodworking and I remembered picking up my grandfather from work one day when I was a teenager and he was turning spindles for a company at 81 years old, so I figured I'd give it a try and I am really enjoying myself. Still in a learning curve but I'm making a lot of sawdust again. I'm concentrating on bowl making and doing a little resin pouring as well. I hope to combine the two as I get better at turning.
Good choice, Wayne. I, too, am beginning to limit strenuous activity. Took up woodturning a couple of years ago figuring it was something I can do as long as I am breathing. I'm 81.

Back