• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Peter Jacobson for "Red Winged Burl Bowl" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 29, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Weeping Willow burls?

Picture Weeping Willow burls?

I have found two weeping willow trees with huge burls all over them. Are burls from weeping willows worth the effort of getting permission to cut or even paying for the permission to cut?
Jack

I took a picture of the tree with my camera phone yesterday. A couple of these burls will fill the bed of my full size pickup.

Attachments

• 1219061538a.jpg
    1219061538a.jpg
    48 KB · Views: 74
Last edited:
Well, two things. First, willow burl is lovely, with lots of cool colors, bark inclusions, swirls, etc. Worth turning.

But.

Extremely stringy and almost impossible to turn without huge tearout. Better when it dries but so wet it will spray a steady stream over the walls and ceiling and takes forever to dry.

If they will let you cut it, get as much as you can, rough turn it, and squirrel it away. Don't pay for it though.

Dietrich

I'll add one other advisory. Don't turn it in a place where you'll have to stay for any length of time. Stuff stinks!

R

Ron Sardo

flyrod444 said:
Are burls from weeping willows worth the effort of getting permission to cut or even paying for the permission to cut?
Jack

That's like asking if a person can have too many tools!

It's Burl! Of course it's worth it!

:D

Back