• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

What did I just buy...

I responded to a guy on Craigslist selling a band saw. It looked interesting, so I went to take a look. He was asking 150, and it ran nice and smooth. So I asked what else he was selling, and he said he wanted 75 for a craftsman combo belt/disc sander and stand... or get both for 150. So I told him OK, and drove down to get cash from the ATM. Once I got back, I asked if there was anything else, and he said I could have anything/everything in the garage for another 100.
This lathe was in the garage. Figured it was worth the $100.

Good pickup? Or...? This one looks old, it spins nice, and has a foot lever to release tension on the belt to change speeds... It is very heavy.

20220322_104741.jpg

20220322_125335.jpg

What did you buy? A treasure trove. And cheap. Love taking old tools and working with them.

A seldom seen IncaDinka bandsaw! What a bargain. You may want to detension the blade when not in use to extend blade life.

That lathe looks like a fool killer, but if you have the room and need an extra lathe it could be useful. Have you computed the spindle speeds?

You could adapt a 3-phase motor and VFD to power the lathe and replace all of the pulleys and shafts that are powering it now.

Thanks for the idea on the VFD. Would make it a lot more compact.
I haven't gotten it off the trailer yet. It's very, very heavy.
I am working on leveling ground to put up a large shop, but so far, just have a couple sheds and garage...
I just went out and measured, there is 10" of clearance. Something up to 20" could be turned.

Website
www.timsworkshop.com
I'm going to have to report you for that one. You didn't buy that, you stole it!

I would adapt the lathe to run a bit more modern, but would (if I had the space) keep the old pulley system (just not use it) for the aesthetics of that old shop feel. It look to me like this was a lathe that ran in an old single power source shop - where there is a single motor connected to a shaft in the ceiling of the shop, and the tools all have the wide, flat, belts going to that shaft - generally with a tensioning mechanism to release the tension on the belt to a particular tool in order to 'turn off' that tool. I love seeing those types of setups. The Antique Automotive Museum in Hershey, PA, has a display like that in one area, showing a shop 'back in the day'.

Back