• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Peter Jacobson for "Red Winged Burl Bowl" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 29, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

What is NE and Other Abbreviation/Acronym Considerations

While turning to avoid honest work this morning, alibi is that the dew makes the grass stick to easily to the mower, I began thinking of some of the AAW sanctioned turning terms. I had looked in at Darrell's site to see his work in progress at http://aroundthewoods.com/bigwing01.html and ff. He uses an Oland tool like an old turner acquaintance of mine always did, and the edges of his work in progress are pretty ragged. Someone mentioned the practice of cutting from the top down, a common one, and one which produces a downhill cut in the recurve, but picks up pretty heavily without it. I was playing with a "staged" interrupted edge piece from a chunk I think I cut for some other reason which was laying on the wagon with the winter squash, and took some pictures of that work in progress.

Note I used the term "interrupted" edge, which is, I think generic enough to cover both the bark up and the whatever (see the attached) else does not involve continuous wood support behind the bevel or the sanding disk. I don't cut back from the rim, preferring to change the angle of attack on the gouge to preserve a good sandable surface. How to express what I do?

I settled on the P/P ratio, since, as my years in the military taught me, a suggestive abbreviation or acronym is a better mnemonic than some arbitrary selection of lead letters. Stands for Poke to Peel ratio, where the angle of the edge is more horizontal to peel on face grain, more vertical to poke and cut across end grain, with shearing angles in between determined by how steep the angle across the grain is on the desired contour. I use a forged pattern gouge, with a mild curvature to the nose, but ground at the same angle all the way across, rotating from a nearly broad scrape to near vertical cut as the P/P ratio increases to cut steeper across the endgrain. Note that the curve of the gouge itself protects me from pressing too hard and chipping, because it will push the flexible wing back smoothly rather than poke up into it and rip out chunks.

So what think ye, guardians of turning nomenclature, are "interrupted edge" or perhaps, in line with snide suggestion enhancing recall, "circularis interruptus" and P/P ratio descriptive enough to indicate the techniques? Can we get them sanctioned the way we have SRG?

Attachments

• Interrupted-Edge.jpg
    Interrupted-Edge.jpg
    22.5 KB · Views: 201
  • Poking-Off-the-Edge.jpg
    Poking-Off-the-Edge.jpg
    27 KB · Views: 204

Bill Boehme

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
pbase.com
Another military expression comes to mind, "run it up the flagpole and see if anyone salutes."

My level of turning experience, which is to be more specific, lack of experience, doesn't give me much room to comment other than to say that abbreviations and acronyms are OK as long as they are commonly understood. Having spent my time in the military and then the rest of my career in the aerospace business, I am keenly aware of the military's propensity for going out of its way to create acronyms even when it wasn't always expedient to have one. Towards the latter part of my career, I became convinced that having an acronym always enhanced the importance of any budget item that potentially faced the fiscal chopping block. In that case, the importance of an acronym was clearly understood by all involved.

Bill

Back