• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Paul May for "Checkerboard (ver 3.0)" being selected as Turning of the Week for March 25, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

What kind of tree? picture of leaf, bark, and cross section

Location Northern California. Thanks for taking the time to look.

52519914871_4d72a6601a_b.jpg

52519442232_2e3f375be1_b.jpg

I agree w/Brian. Have also seen mention of a "Western Sycamore". I Googled it and it's referenced.

hockenbery

Forum MVP
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
www.hockenberywoodturning.com
My first thought was sycamore but the leaf is off.

I used the google app on your leaf photo. Adjusted the lens to the leaf edges.
Google matched it to Platanus wrightii - Arizona sycamore
And western sycamore It also put up maple and sweet gum which the human eye can eliminate.
A search on western sycamore pulls up photos of matching leaves.

A814BA89-F835-4341-8FDD-61257446429A.png

Last edited:
A sometimes useful nugget which I learned when studying dendrology: deciduous trees with opposite buds can be narrowed down using MADCapHorse - Maples, Ashes, Dogwoods, any in the Caprifoliaceae family and Horsechestnut. All others have alternate buds. Caveat: this applies on the east coast, and there are a few exceptions for some shrubs but at least it is a good mnemonic to keep in mind.

I rely on a really simple phone app: Picture This. It's free, easy, and accurate.
I was going to suggest this as well Tom. It's an amazing app. Sometimes when we're out of cell service range we take the picture on our phone, then import it into the app when we get home to WIFI. You can save identifications to your library also. Well worth the investment IMO.

My first thought was sweet gum, but like others said, cross section and bark say sycamore, of some sort. There is one in the parking lot of a near by store where the total bottom is a big lump of burl. It stumped me because the leaves looked like this. May have to bug my local arborist about it. I never knew there were so many different types of sycamore.

robo hippy

Back