• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

What lathe should I buy?

Hello,
I'm getting ready to retire, and I want a new hobby. I've watched dozens of youtube videos on turning and thought I'd give it a try, so I took a class with a fellow in Atlanta. I'm hooked. Can't seem to think about anything else. I've looked, but there just isn't much in the way of used machines near me. (well, there have been some old machines amd harbor freight machines, but when I asked the gentleman I took the class about them, he said I should look for something better.) There was a Laguna that came up, but by the time I got called, it had sold. So, now I'm looking at new lathes.

I wanted to try and keep the total initial cost - Lathe, chuck, basic set of chisels, at under $1500. But I can push that to $2500 if there is a strong reason to do so. I have full face eye protection, respirator, a variable speed belt grinder, so I think I should be able to at least get started. I would like to be able to do a wide range of things, from pens to bowls in the 12-14" range.

I started looking at lathes around $1000 and came up with the
https://www.turnerswarehouse.com/products/record-power-coronet-herald-14-x-20-swivel-head-lathe

But it looks like the Rikon 70-1420VSR has more power is ~ 30# heavier and 1.5hp and only ~$200 more...
https://pittsburghsprayequip.com/pr...qLsmRKOq1fjIJrxnzA-f5FTs3viG_SbhoCNpAQAvD_BwE
Rikon Tools 14
Note: Non-Returnable Item The 70-1420VSR is the largest benchtop lathe in the RIKON line of machinery. This upgraded model gives woodturners increased spindle-to-bed height so that larger diameter work can be done. The addition of 3 machined surfaces to mount optional extensions increase the working dimensions even fur
pittsburghsprayequip.com

Then, looking in the same size range, I saw that the Harvey T40 was on sale to about $1900 from $2800 and is 50# heavier than the Rikon, with a servo motor (supposed to have more torque (up to 3hp peak power despite 1hp overall power...)

https://www.harveywoodworking.com/p...poSUMMi5NZVfi73yxzdb-2xaYbjPBFmBoCvK8QAvD_BwE
TURBO T-40 14"X24" Wood Lathe With Servo Motor
Harvey Woodworking Turbo 14"X24" Wood Lathe With Servo Motor
www.harveywoodworking.com
That's a bit more than I had wanted to spend, but probably doable... but that prompted me to look at the G0733 - More than double the weight, and extra 4 inches capacity as well as lenghth.... but now we're over $2000 before getting a chuck or gouges etc., and my penny pinching nature starts to object, even though I can afford it.

https://www.grizzly.com/products/grizzly-18-x-47-heavy-duty-wood-lathe/g0733
18" x 47" Heavy-Duty Wood Lathe at Grizzly.com
<h1>G0733 18" x 47" Heavy-Duty Wood Lathe</h1> <h2>A large capacity wood lathe with VFD.</h2> <p>The G0733 18" x 47" Heavy-Duty Wood Lathe has it all, beginning with the 18" swing over bed capacity.</p> <p>You'll appreciate the variable-speed spindle control with digital readout, forward/reverse switch and convenient tool storage basket.</p> <p>The belt drive offers a low-speed range of 100&ndash;1200 RPM and a high-speed range of 330–3200 RPM.</p> <p>The headstock can be rotated 180&deg; and positioned anywhere along the bed. The tailstock, headstock, and tool rest support all have lever action cam locks for quick positioning.</p> <p>Perhaps best of all, the G0733 is equipped with a VFD (variable frequency drive), which allows the lathe's 2 HP, 3-phase motor to run on single-phase power. All you need is standard 220V, single-phase power to be up and running in no time.</p> <p>The VFD saves you money by increasing the efficiency of the motor and decreasing electricity use. It reduces wear and tear on the mo
www.grizzly.com

Once I get to the $2200 -2500 range there are a LOT of machines to choose from - Record Power's Coronet Envoy and Regent, Laguna 15/24, even the smallest Powermatic. But in that range, there isn't a lot left over for tools. And I suspect I will want a bandsaw if I really get into this. Wow, talk about a slippery slope!

What are your thoughts / recommendations? I don't mind buying used, but I live in a small town of ~500 people. The nearest city is 2 1/2 hours away, and I haven't seen anything on facebook marketplace or ebay in the area...

Thank you for your time,

Website
www.reallyruralwoodworks.com
I feel your pain, Robert - Same boat here, I have a Harbor Freight 12 x 36 I got used (for a bit less than the price at the time of a decent 4-jaw chuck, which it also came with) and I also am in a very rural area - Good used lathes (and turner's clubs) simply just are not within a reasonable drive (which to me is 30 minutes one way)

- However, I will say most certainly if you get one of those, (Harbor Freight, etc, which also includes the cheaper smaller Grizzly) it will not be long before you are shopping for another, better lathe. But what I'd consider first is what is the goal for turning ,and how much Swing do your really need? (12 inch swing, won't turn much bigger than a 10-11 inch finished bowl, and even that can take a little finicky adjusting to get it to where it can actually spin) If you are not interested in big bowls (13-14-15 inch range or larger) then you won't need to consider bigger machines really, but the top brands really don't do much in the smaller range (I think One-Way has a 12 inch mini lathe, though?)

On the other hand, with one of the big top brands (One-Way, Robust, and I have read so far, Harvey) you not only get high quality fit and finish, but superior customer service after the sale. (you DO get what you pay for) but for budget minded, I'd say the middle brands would suit - Jet, Laguna, Record Power, Rikon might "do well" , but they ain't a Robust or OneWay. Those machines tend to also hold a fairly decent resale value (Again the downside to rural area where you can't FIND used lathes, it is also hard to SELL them.. But, with a SOLID brand name lathe in good condition, folks are more likely to drive further to get a good used lathe...so , better resale value...)

You could not go wrong with the Harvey T-40, I don't think... though it is rather a bit more than I, myself would want to spend on a 14 inch swing.

I find that with my HF lathe , based on the size of blanks I wanted to put on it, given the limitations caused by a tool rest under the work, I want a 16 inch swing at least myself , so my budget has me decided on a Jet 1642 which is a real stretch for me.. and unless I hit the lottery, will be my last lathe.

But if I didn't have the budget to be concerned with (since you mention you can afford to go over it a bit, which I rather can't) I'd probably get a oneway 16 inch swing or a Robust Sweet 16 (Though I still would have to spend on a bed extension because I do want at least 36 inch between centers for some spindle turning I do)

In short, if you can "bump up" your budget on a lathe , try and make it one that you only "Buy Once" and go for the better brands that offer superior service , which would make a T-40 an excellent pick if you can work with 14 inch swing, Record Power also gets excellent reviews (But I would suspect you want to pick and choose the VENDOR you buy from, some provide better after sale support than others) Laguna gets a lot of love from many on here also, as does Powermatic (Though I'd still get the Harvey before I'd get PM 2014)

- But if you could afford a $8K Lathe budget, Get Robust Sweet 16 or a OneWay 16(xx) and it'd probably not only outlive you but also hold its resale value (Like a Rolls Royce or Bentley)

Lastly, but not least, this question has been asked MANY times in the forums before, (Seems to me at least 3-4 times a year) so you may find a forum search on lathe recommendations or (what lathe should I buy) may bring you a lot more information and results to chew on, besides just my own opinion. (Which, given my 3-years experience so far, although I used a lathe in High School shop class, is worth about as much as the sheet of paper I'd print it out on..)

hockenbery

Forum MVP
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
www.hockenberywoodturning.com
You might try contacting the AAW Chapters’s members often offer lathes for sale through their clubs
Select Georgia in the state box and you see all the Georgia chapters.

Nova Neptune might be worth a look. Its new and hard to find. I haven’t seen one yet.
If you have a stand or can build one i- legs are $400+

You might try contacting the AAW Chapters’s members often offer lathes for sale through their clubs
Select Georgia in the state box and you see all the Georgia chapters.

Nova Neptune might be worth a look. Its new and hard to find. I haven’t seen one yet.
If you have a stand or can build one i- legs are $400+
Thanks! I'll take a look.

On the other hand, with one of the big top brands (One-Way, Robust, and I have read so far, Harvey) you not only get high quality fit and finish, but superior customer service after the sale. (you DO get what you pay for) but for budget minded, I'd say the middle brands would suit - Jet, Laguna, Record Power, Rikon might "do well" , but they ain't a Robust or OneWay. Those machines tend to also hold a fairly decent resale value (Again the downside to rural area where you can't FIND used lathes, it is also hard to SELL them.. But, with a SOLID brand name lathe in good condition, folks are more likely to drive further to get a good used lathe...so , better resale value...)
I would love to get one of the top brands like One-way and Robust, but they are more than double my budget
You could not go wrong with the Harvey T-40, I don't think... though it is rather a bit more than I, myself would want to spend on a 14 inch swing.

I find that with my HF lathe , based on the size of blanks I wanted to put on it, given the limitations caused by a tool rest under the work, I want a 16 inch swing at least myself , so my budget has me decided on a Jet 1642 which is a real stretch for me.. and unless I hit the lottery, will be my last lathe.
So you feel that 14" would be too limiting, and I should focus on 16"?
Lastly, but not least, this question has been asked MANY times in the forums before, (Seems to me at least 3-4 times a year) so you may find a forum search on lathe recommendations or (what lathe should I buy) may bring you a lot more information and results to chew on, besides just my own opinion. (Which, given my 3-years experience so far, although I used a lathe in High School shop class, is worth about as much as the sheet of paper I'd print it out on..)
I have read a few threads on lathe recommendations. It seems like they have been primarily for people who have been turning for some time and are looking for a full sized lathe or who otherwise knew what they wanted. I was hoping to get some insights / recommendations oriented to a beginner. But I will definitely keep searching. Thanks

Seems to me that if you are starting from scratch you might want a cheaper, smaller lathe to develop skills. If that's a reasonable assumption, a good used Jet JWL 1221VS would not be too expensive and is a good quality machine. Develop skills until you really decide you like the hobby, then get a bigger machine. Around here (Seattle) there is usually one on craigslist every few weeks.

Reality bites, Robert. The cost of a turning set up is generally around 50% lathe and 50% other stuff, not including a bandsaw. You have a sharpener, that may work, so perhaps your ratio will be different, but you don't have all that much budget for a lathe. A used lathe will be a lot more machine for your dollar. As Al suggested, get in touch with every club within a day's driving distance. Somebody at one of them is right this minute dragging his feet about selling exactly the lathe you want. When he hears you're looking, he'll finally pull the trigger. You just have to ask around and then wade through all the "Well, Jim Bob has been talking about selling his lathe..." emails you get. Some clubs even have classified ads in their newsletters or on their web sites.

And join your nearest club so you can benefit from the coaching of their mentors and learn from their demos. (there are 16 in Georgia and 4 in SC. Athens or Columbia may be the closest, but there are a bunch in the Atlanta megapolis)

Last edited:
Website
www.prairiewoodart.com
I was in the OP's shoes a couple years ago. Used machines were either nonexistent or grossly overpriced, In my case, I decided to go the T-40 route. It is a bit more money than some options but is a well built, 14" lathe with decent power and mass plus has a rotating headstock. You will quickly figure out that the lathe is about half the investment you will make overall. Chucks and chisels are the only the beginning. Personally, I would not go down the super small machine rabbit hole. You will be buying the next lathe sooner than you planned. Buy a decent size machine now. If you eventual decide turning is not your thing, then a decent machine will sell quickly.

Reality bites, Robert. The cost of a turning set up is generally around 50% lathe and 50% other stuff, not including a bandsaw. You have a sharpener, that may work, so perhaps your ratio will be different, but you don't have all that much budget for a lathe. A used lathe will be a lot more machine for your dollar. As Al suggested, get in touch with every club within a day's driving distance. Somebody at one of them is right this minute dragging his feet about selling exactly the lathe you want. When he hears you're looking, he'll finally pull the trigger. You just have to ask around and then wade through all the "Well, Jim Bob has been talking about selling his lathe..." emails you get. Some clubs even have classified ads in their newsletters or on their web sites.

And join your nearest club so you can benefit from the coaching of their mentors and learn from their demos. (there are 16 in Georgia and 4 in SC. Athens or Columbia may be the closest, but there are a bunch in the Atlanta megapolis)
Thanks, I did take a look at the clubs in GA and SC. The on in Evans is closest, but hasn't met in a year and number I called went to the son of the fellow who used to run it... he said that they hadn't met for a good while due to Covid and hadn't really started meeting again. The others are a 3 - 5 hour round trip from me. It did look at all of their web pages to see if they had any classified adds, but didn't find any.

Website
www.ovwg.org
I feel your pain, Robert - Same boat here, I have a Harbor Freight 12 x 36 I got used (for a bit less than the price at the time of a decent 4-jaw chuck, which it also came with) and I also am in a very rural area - Good used lathes (and turner's clubs) simply just are not within a reasonable drive (which to me is 30 minutes one way)

- However, I will say most certainly if you get one of those, (Harbor Freight, etc, which also includes the cheaper smaller Grizzly) it will not be long before you are shopping for another, better lathe. But what I'd consider first is what is the goal for turning ,and how much Swing do your really need? (12 inch swing, won't turn much bigger than a 10-11 inch finished bowl, and even that can take a little finicky adjusting to get it to where it can actually spin) If you are not interested in big bowls (13-14-15 inch range or larger) then you won't need to consider bigger machines really, but the top brands really don't do much in the smaller range (I think One-Way has a 12 inch mini lathe, though?)

But if I didn't have the budget to be concerned with (since you mention you can afford to go over it a bit, which I rather can't) I'd probably get a oneway 16 inch swing or a Robust Sweet 16 (Though I still would have to spend on a bed extension because I do want at least 36 inch between centers for some spindle turning I do)

In short, if you can "bump up" your budget on a lathe , try and make it one that you only "Buy Once" and go for the better brands that offer superior service , which would make a T-40 an excellent pick if you can work with 14 inch swing, Record Power also gets excellent reviews (But I would suspect you want to pick and choose the VENDOR you buy from, some provide better after sale support than others) Laguna gets a lot of love from many on here also, as does Powermatic (Though I'd still get the Harvey before I'd get PM 2014)

- But if you could afford a $8K Lathe budget, Get Robust Sweet 16 or a OneWay 16(xx) and it'd probably not only outlive you but also hold its resale value (Like a Rolls Royce or Bentley)

The Sweet 16 has a bed extension built in, so you don't need an extra. Standard bed, which is what I have, can turn up to 38 inches with gap removed and placed on the back
1705338257054.jpeg

I was in the OP's shoes a couple years ago. Used machines were either nonexistent or grossly overpriced, In my case, I decided to go the T-40 route. It is a bit more money than some options but is a well built, 14" lathe with decent power and mass plus has a rotating headstock. You will quickly figure out that the lathe is about half the investment you will make overall. Chucks and chisels are the only the beginning. Personally, I would not go down the super small machine rabbit hole. You will be buying the next lathe sooner than you planned. Buy a decent size machine now. If you eventual decide turning is not your thing, then a decent machine will sell quickly.
Did you find that 14" met your needs? One of the other earlier responders seemed to feel 16" was a better starting point.
I looked at the G0632 (about the same price as the Harvey t40, but 16 inch), which I understand is similar to the Jet 1642 that has been discontinued, but the 1 year warranty from Grizzly is concerning.

Seems to me that if you are starting from scratch you might want a cheaper, smaller lathe to develop skills. If that's a reasonable assumption, a good used Jet JWL 1221VS would not be too expensive and is a good quality machine. Develop skills until you really decide you like the hobby, then get a bigger machine. Around here (Seattle) there is usually one on craigslist every few weeks.

A Jet 1221 variable speed lathe is the entry level lathe of choice in my opinion.
I did look at the Jet 1221. It lists for $999. Do you feel it is better than the Record power Coronet Herald (same price) or the Rikon 70-1420 (~$200 more)?

hockenbery

Forum MVP
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
www.hockenberywoodturning.com
Another thought is to call or Email Nick Agar. He is a robust dealer. If he has an upcoming delivery chances are good the new owner will have a lathe to sell. Also Nick is great teacher especially if you have an interest in texture and color. Also excellent for basics.

Don Geiger is our Florida Robust dealer. He helps folks sell their old lathes. Don is in Gainesville but often spends time in st Augustine.
You can get their contact info.

Last edited:
There are always used lathes for sale. That is the best reason to contact the clubs. Even if the drive is long, chances are that they have members who are closer, and if you have to drive a bit to pick up a good used lathe, that would be worth it. Frequently you get 'accessories' to go with the lathe. The lathe is maybe 1/4 of what you will spend on your new toy...

robo hippy

At least you have outlined what you want to make, 12-14” bowls (big lathes will do pens), which is a good start. For 14” dia finished product you really need a 16” swing. 14” bowls and platters are as large as I typically go - larger stuff is not used much at all inside a house. There are quite a few 16” swing lathes available.

Lathe length - you may become interested in hollow forms (hf’s) at some point. and there are various types of hollowing rigs. Some of the types work better with a long bed lathe (which is heavier as well).

As you have not turned, be aware there are many ways to do various things. I happen to really like pivot type headstocks because they are ergonomically superior to fixed or sliding head lathes - hollowing a bowl does not require leaning oner the bed, or removing the tailstock to slide the HS down. I also like that work can be pivoted 90 deg to the bed for sanding, applying finish, and finishing the finish (I buff pieces with them mounted on the lathe). You might take a look at the Nova Galaxi (what I have) and Nebula. @ 120V, Nova DVR motor has significant more low speed torque vs vfd drives. Not sure what hp vfd is needed to equal the DVR low speed torque.

At least you have outlined what you want to make, 12-14” bowls (big lathes will do pens), which is a good start. For 14” dia finished product you really need a 16” swing. 14” bowls and platters are as large as I typically go - larger stuff is not used much at all inside a house. There are quite a few 16” swing lathes available.

Lathe length - you may become interested in hollow forms (hf’s) at some point. and there are various types of hollowing rigs. Some of the types work better with a long bed lathe (which is heavier as well).

As you have not turned, be aware there are many ways to do various things. I happen to really like pivot type headstocks because they are ergonomically superior to fixed or sliding head lathes - hollowing a bowl does not require leaning oner the bed, or removing the tailstock to slide the HS down. I also like that work can be pivoted 90 deg to the bed for sanding, applying finish, and finishing the finish (I buff pieces with them mounted on the lathe). You might take a look at the Nova Galaxi (what I have) and Nebula. @ 120V, Nova DVR motor has significant more low speed torque vs vfd drives. Not sure what hp vfd is needed to equal the DVR low speed torque.
I agree. I would never own a lathe without a pivoting headstock again.

You might want to connect with Mike Peace. He lives just north of Atlanta and is familiar with different turning clubs in the region. He might know of a good used lathe for sale. He offers private instruction, which is one of the best ways to jump start your woodturning hobby. He has more than 500 videos on his YouTube channel, and several of them are about deciding what lathe to buy. His # is 770-362-4308.

Website
www.reallyruralwoodworks.com
So you feel that 14" would be too limiting, and I should focus on 16"?
If you want to turn 14 inch bowls, then most likely yes- Unless you get a bandsaw capable of cutting half logs into bowl blanks - For me, I don't have any bandsaw to speak of (just a cheapie 9 inch tabletop skil, which can handle maybe 2-1/2 inch thick blanks) , and biggest blank I have been able to fit on my HF 12 x 336 lathe (12 inch swing) has been 11-1/2 inches and that had to be rounded using chainsaw and an angle grinder with a carving wheel , and even then it was a struggle to get it trued up because the banjo won't quite fit under the blank, so it had to be nibbled away bit by bit until I could fit the banjo and tool rest well enough to get it rounded and outside shape turned... and ended up with a 10-3/4 inch rough-out after all is said and done, which ultimately finished out to a 10-/2 inch bowl , so I figure if I want to do 12 inch bowls then I want a 14 inch swing, but any bigger, and I need a 16 inch swing (and some manufacturers actually account for the banjo clearance in their product details - not many do...) So for me it'll be the Jet 1642 (I really rather get the 1842 for the 230V power input, but that's just a bit too much more than my budget allows for, I don't need the 18 inch swing, and doubt I would EVER utilize a blank that big, if I could even lift it between centers!) However, if your budget is a bit more flexible, and you can forego the 14 - 16 inch bandsaw and instead put the Bandsaw funds into a better lathe, you can add another $1500 or so to your price range, in which case you might find the ONEWAY or Robust may be within shouting distance of your budget? Or at the very least a T40 or T60.

I have read a few threads on lathe recommendations. It seems like they have been primarily for people who have been turning for some time and are looking for a full sized lathe or who otherwise knew what they wanted. I was hoping to get some insights / recommendations oriented to a beginner. But I will definitely keep searching. Thanks
That has been my experience while trying to save up funds to plunk down on a new lathe, I read every forum posting like this for the debates and "thinking points" to consider - and for me, knowing what I enjoy turning, and what I am physically capable of, I know I'd never (without any doubt at all) turn anything bigger than 14 inch (even that very rarely, but 13 inch may come into play, plus maybe some coring later on, which is why I also wanted to get the 1842 - 230V / more powerful) - But as has been mentioned many times, each turner has to figure out their own limitations and goals.. and then figure out what lathe can meet those goals..

On the flip side, as a beginner, if you are not sure you'd truly be happy for the next several years (or longer) doing turning (for some, the learning curve to make beautiful work they see in these forums gallery may be too steep or just too slow, and they give up..) , then your best bet would be to actually get into a wood turning club if there was one within reasonable visiting time (Even if it is just one visit every few months, or once a year) you could call ahead to a member and arrange a bit of mentoring time (if they have a lathe available or member closer to you that would be willing) and that'd give you a much better idea if it was something you'd want to plop the money into (And if you really LOVE it like I do, maybe consider boosting your budget even if it means saving up a while longer) But failing that opportunity, and that certainty, You might also consider a benchtop mini lathe (many come in a 12 inch swing for under a grand) - you could learn and practice on that , and if you find yourself getting a full size lathe, and more experience, etc, you could even end up taking the mini lathe with you in a van and do craft shows, etc..... Plus you wouldn't be trying a huge 14 inch bowl right off the bat (Which even after several small bowls, my first "big" 10 inch bowl was a heart-pounding challenge!)

But if you are 100% sure that is what you want to do, and you know for sure that you'll want that 14 inch bowl size, then yes a 16 inch swing should be the lathe to look for.

Website
www.prairiewoodart.com
Did you find that 14" met your needs? One of the other earlier responders seemed to feel 16" was a better starting point.
I looked at the G0632 (about the same price as the Harvey t40, but 16 inch), which I understand is similar to the Jet 1642 that has been discontinued, but the 1 year warranty from Grizzly is concerning.
It works for me. 12" bowls are about as big as I ever turn. I do have the outboard turning attachment (Harvey gave me a sweet coupon that make that accessory essentially free) for the T40 which facilitates up to 22" swing. In fairness, at that diameter your cuts would have to be very light to not overpower the lathe. I also bought the bed extension to not have to remove the tailstock assembly. The swiveling headstock is very useful for bowl turning and hollowing.
There is not much cause to be turning anything larger than about 12" other than the cool factor of saying you did it. Those sizes items are only good for hallway display pieces. Now if you are going to make wall art then that could be a different discussion. I find that items much less than 10 inch are what I gravitate toward. I do agree that a 12" lathe could be limiting. Will I buy a bigger lathe someday? Perhaps...
One thing about the G0632 is the tool rest has a 25 mm post which is an oddball (makes aftermarket replacement difficult) and the tool rest tends to be too high for some cuts, IMHO. Those two things are a problem for me. I would avoid that particular lathe.

It works for me. 12" bowls are about as big as I ever turn. I do have the outboard turning attachment for the T40 which facilitates up to 22" swing. In fairness, at that diameter your cuts would have to be very light to not overpower the lathe.
There is not much cause to be turning anything larger than about 12" other than the cool factor of saying you did it. Those sizes items are only good for hallway display pieces. Now if you are going to make wall art then that could be a different discussion. I find that items much less than 10 inch are what I gravitate toward. I do agree that a 12" lathe could be limiting. Will I buy a bigger lathe someday? Perhaps...
One thing about the G0632 is the tool rest has a 25 mm post which is an oddball (makes aftermarket replacement difficult) and the tool rest tends to be too high for some cuts, IMHO. Those two things are a problem for me.
I would agree with you as far as bowls. Most platters I have seen are larger than that.

I did look at the Jet 1221. It lists for $999. Do you feel it is better than the Record power Coronet Herald (same price) or the Rikon 70-1420 (~$200 more)?
As an entry level lathe the Jet1221 offers the best bang for the buck.
Next up the ladder for me would be the Nova Galaxy. I would leave the 14 inch lathes alone. There are other 16” lathes out there that are plenty good enough. The best thing to do is to join or visit a club and make friends and wrangle an invite to turn on their lathes.
Before you buy anything, look up the Tec manuals and read and study them.
remember you can’t go wrong with Robust.

I have the Jet 1221 and the Record Power Coronet Herald 1420 lathes. Both are very good but my preference is the Record Power Herald. It has a larger/stronger spindle, larger tool rest shaft, more power, runs smoother and quieter plus has the pivoting headstock for turning larger diameter pieces. Like I said they are both very good and have turned numerous items with the Jet 1221 but after purchasing the Record Power I barely use the Jet anymore. The Record Power is a step above the 1221 in my opinion. Best of luck in your search.

One thing that may not be clear in the numerous posts above, is that you need more 'swing' that the size bowl you want to turn. For example, on my Powermatic with a 20" 'swing', if I prepare the blank really well with my chain saw, I can mount an 18.5" blank. If you want a 14" bowl, you'll need a lathe with at least a 16" swing, which fortunately is one of the most common size lathes for non-pro turners.

And to provide some balance, I don't care for pivoting headstocks and prefer a sliding one.

You should really find a club within driving distance of you. Reach out to the president and find out when they are having an “open shop” or “sawdust session”. All the clubs I know of will let a prospective member in without paying dues. The opportunity to see and play with a lathe before you commit to buying one will be priceless and well worth a drive of several hours.

Starting small is never a bad decision but go with the best - the price difference is small compared to the value of your time re-creating yourself over the years.
I've had a custom Oneway 2424 for over 20-yrs - I do large hollow-forms. But now at the ripe old age of 77, I plan to add a Oneway 1224 to do smaller works.
I look forward to working on a smaller quality machine - getting a lesser machine is unthinkable.

When you buy Oneway you get a lathe built in Ontario, CA at the same machine shop that designed it 30-yrs ago - you'll be hugging yourself for years.

Attachments

• Oneway.pdf
    1.6 MB · Views: 9
Robert, also keep in mind that you only need to purchase a few tools to get started without spending a fortune and then add to your collection with time. Also, if just starting out you can even get by without purchasing a chuck. I turned for years just using a scrap block and a face plate and turned out some beautiful pieces before purchasing my first chuck. Best of luck and just enjoy your time turning, you will love it.

I have the Jet 1221 and the Record Power Coronet Herald 1420 lathes. Both are very good but my preference is the Record Power Herald. It has a larger/stronger spindle, larger tool rest shaft, more power, runs smoother and quieter plus has the pivoting headstock for turning larger diameter pieces. Like I said they are both very good and have turned numerous items with the Jet 1221 but after purchasing the Record Power I barely use the Jet anymore. The Record Power is a step above the 1221 in my opinion. Best of luck in your search.

I've turned on Jet 1221s many times, making a wide variety of things. It is a good lathe, but its tool rest shaft is undersized (5/8").

Do NOT try to make a decision based on internet advice, especially not without seeing that machine suggested in person. To work on a lathe requires skills that are not intuitive. It's so much more than sticking a chisel into the wood. You want the machine to fit you and things you think you want to make. My suggestion is to go to a Woodcraft store on a Saturday when they have a lathe demo going. Watch a club demo and ask the instructor to tell you what is good or bad with that machine. Do NOT spend $2,500 without putting your hands on tools and machines. I strongly suggest you start used. I'd guess 90% or more of new turners buy a new lathe in 3 years or less after their first machine, and then not stop buying for the next 10-15 years. It's a rare turner that never upgrades. Finally, I would never own a lathe that is not electronic variable speed. A 10 or 20rpm change can make such a huge difference in spinning the wood. But watch out for some new lathes that have a soft start in the software. I HATE waiting for a machine to get up to speed.

I wish you luck. Depending on your needs/wants, you can find both treasures and junk on the web. ( FB-market place, E-bay, Craig's list...)
The Best that I can suggest, is to know your limit (price wise.) also keep in mind what kind of turning you want to do. I mainly work with spindles,
so my lathes do not need to be large size, But if you want to turn Bowls, or metal spinning, your equipment needs to be more Robust / Larger and heavily made equipment, to support
the larger sizes of wood you will be turning. There are some very good companys out there that you may not have ever seen. (European equipment is not often seen in the States.) but there are
some really nice German and Norwegian machine in the market. https://lignolathe.com/en/index.htm and Hegner https://www.hegner.co.uk/ are both very nice machines.
so the best I can say is to look and know your market.
best of luck.
C.A.G.

The new Nova Neptune is an amazing lathe with 15" over the bed and 20" capability off the back with 1 1/2 HP @ 120V (or 1 3/4 HP @ 220V). So many features for about $1350 sans stand or about $1700 with their heavy duty stand. I'll be selling 5 of my lathes in May but not the Neptune it is a keeper!

As you can see from the responses, turners come at a given issue from different directions, and each can be right.

It’s impossible for a beginner to make the “right” decision, since they dont really know where their own turning journey will lead them, or jeez, decide turning “aint my thang.”

I got my 1st lathe to just play around. I had a complete flat ww shop, and figured I could explore turning a bit, and was pretty much starting from “0”. I got the HF 34706 lathe, figuring if need be I could just throw it away (paid $180 in 2012).

After a couple of years of mostly spindle turning, I wanted to try bowls. Not understanding anything about cutting up logs and turning wet wood, but having a stash of nice flat ww lumber, I ventured into segmenting. It got me interested in faceplate turning. I researched blanks from logs, bought a chainsaw, and fell off the cliff. I found I like to make chips on the lathe, not cut and glue stuff together.

Made a lot of bowls, vases, hf’s, etc, and learned a lot about what I liked and didnt like about lathes, tools, and accessories. After another couple of years, I started putting together my “must, should, and could have list” for the next step. It took over a year of work and studying to develop the various turning processes I wanted to do, and how different lathes, tools, and acc fit in.

You may want to start “cheap”, and learn. Do you even really like turning? Try different methods of turning a bowl, which do you like? The list goes on and on. Unknowingly, that HF lathe paved the way for me to discover the benefits of a pivot headstock, the value of needing low speed for unbalanced work and sanding (it started at 650 rpm way too fast), value of a heavy lathe and a longer bed, and that I wanted at least a 16” swing (it was 12”). It also allowed me to prove or dispel a lot of things about turning you come across doing a lot of research. After I purchased my current lathe I was able to sell the HF, with many improvements, for $250. A different path for consideration.

Reading through the comments is interesting. I am glad I am not the only one that does not like the soft start machines. But, habit for me is to turn the speed to zero when I start anything up, or if I am doing production bowls, I will have my hand on the variable speed knob.

Rusty made the comment about 'never owning a lathe without a pivoting headstock again', and that made me think a bit.... Is there any advantage to a pivoting headstock vs a sliding headstock? Only one I can think of is if you are tight on space, and there are a number of you out there, some just don't have the room to turn off of the end of the lathe, and that also could take in outboard turning. It drives me nuts to see turners who have a sliding headstock and never use it.

robo hippy

Rusty made the comment about 'never owning a lathe without a pivoting headstock again', and that made me think a bit.... Is there any advantage to a pivoting headstock vs a sliding headstock?

I assumed the advantage is that you can do "outboard" turning of larger diameters than will fit on the lathe traditionally.

Dave Landers

Beta Tester
Website
dlwoodturning.com
I assumed the advantage is that you can do "outboard" turning of larger diameters than will fit on the lathe traditionally.
Can do that with a sliding headstock, too. But either needs some way to hold the tool rest that'll fit that large piece.

A pivoting headstock certainly has facilities to hold the tool rest with the headstock pivoted. But might not fit an oversized diameter piece. Would depend on the specifics of the lathe and available accessories.

I have a 3520 with sliding headstock. I can slide it almost to the end, swing away the tailstock, and still use the banjo in the ways as normal. That lets me stand at the end for hollowing or inside bowls. I like that, especially since I do quite a bit of hollow forms. If I want to do something really big (haven't wanted to do that yet) I have an extension that will mount low and get me a crazy 38" swing. If I need bigger than that (like all the way to the floor - probably never will do that) I'd need a floor-stand tool rest (that'd be the same answer for someone with a pivoting headstock).

If I was in your position I would search locally for a used lathe using clubs, other turners, and wtb ads to try and turn something up. If you couldn't find anything I would get the 14 in Record Power, a decent bowl gouge and scraper (not too fancy as learning to sharpen takes time), one of the Nova chucks that is on sale from Canada for $89 and a used dust collector.
The dust collector is essential in my opinion. When I started I was excited to set up my new lathe and get started-with no dust collection- it didn't seem too bad at first but after a while I could tell the dust was having an effect on me as well as making a mess. Dust collectors, bandsaws, and other shop supplies are much easier ime to find used locally. I bought both of my lathes used and it took a long time to find them.

habit for me is to turn the speed to zero when I start anything up, or if I am doing production bowls, I will have my hand on the variable speed knob.

Is there any advantage to a pivoting headstock vs a sliding headstock? Only one I can think of is if you are tight on space,

Reed,

I second you on both points— 1. I very seldom touch the on/off button. Control everything with variable speed knob. 2. I take advantage of the sliding headstock on my Powermatic quite often, but I’ve never seen the need for a swiveling headstock.
Ron K.

My first lathe was a Jet 1221 variable speed lathe. I still have it and still use it. A few years ago I had an opportunity to buy a used Jet 1642 for under 2k with a bunch of tools and chucks. You won't be disappointed with the 1221 to get started and won't have any trouble selling it if you find something bigger with more power. Or keep it like I did and you can have multiple projects going at once.

Back