• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Peter Jacobson for "Red Winged Burl Bowl" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 29, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

What's it called.

Website
originalrevolutions.com
I used to use this while making salt shaker pepper grinder combinations. Got the kits from penn state industries. I do not remember where I got this tool or what it's called. It works well, but the rubber pieces are getting worn. I would like to get another one or replace the rubber pieces, but I have no idea what to look for. 20240211_135904.jpg
If anyone knows, please let me know what it's called or where I might find it.
In the meantime I have made and am using this and it also works , but the pin that is used to trapthe piece inside the diameter of the salt shaker blank doesn't always grip as well.20240211_135935.jpg
Any thoughts?

It is called a pin chuck, the pin in/on the spindle will rotate a bit to the side and locks a piece on for easy turning and access. I don't see many of them, but handy for anything with a drilled center. I would expect any machine shop would make one for you.

robo hippy

I've made my own with wood, aluminum, and steel. A roofing nail is 1/8" diameter, so that is my locking pin. Invaluable for more speed on making bird house ornaments. Wood and aluminum are easy to make on a wood lathe.

It is called a pin chuck, the pin in/on the spindle will rotate a bit to the side and locks a piece on for easy turning and access. I don't see many of them, but handy for anything with a drilled center. I would expect any machine shop would make one for you.

robo hippy
The first picture is called a pin chuck?

McMaster Carr or some place like that should have rubber bushings for the first pic thing if you can get the dimensions. Amazon even has lots of bushings but maybe a specialized place would have softer types if needed. Would it do any good to take it apart and swap or turn the rubber around to have a tighter fit/different face showing on the shaft?

Last edited:
Website
originalrevolutions.com

robo hippy
Yes, the pin chuck I know. That one I made. The other one as a mandrel, but it came with the rubber pieces. That one I do not remember what it's called or where I got it. My memory is't as good as my forgetter.

It’s called an expansion mandrel. It looks home made. I think I Romberg seeing them at Pen State or in the Woodturners catalogue.
This would have been many years ago. And I’ve slept since.
The Rubber Chucky makes some jamb chucks and such for pepper mills.

There are drill mounted drum sanders that have that same type of compressible rubber in a cylinder form. You might find them locally in a good hardware store or possible Harbor Freight. Buying the drill-drum sander kit and making them fit might be cheaper than getting parts from McMaster Carr or similar outfit.

You can also find the bushings at the auto parts store in various sizes for sway bars and control arms

Website
originalrevolutions.com
It’s called an expansion mandrel. It looks home made. I think I Romberg seeing them at Pen State or in the Woodturners catalogue.
This would have been many years ago. And I’ve slept since.
The Rubber Chucky makes some jamb chucks and such for pepper mills.
Part of it is home made because the mandrel itself that came with the unit was really soft steel and the threads got chewed up early on. That is perhaps why they are no l;onger available. I used a piece of all thread and remade the mandrel . I guess I just need to find new bushings.

Back