• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

What's the next toy.. errr tool?

As you know we are all one tool away from greatness.

Money burning a hole in my pocket so I thought I'd get another toy of some sort but I don't know what to prioritize. I was thinking along the lines of another cbn wheel and maybe one of those Kodiak platforms (I'd like to find a robo platform) to sharpen my scraper so I don't have to keep swapping back and forth with the vari grind and platform.

But then I think a bigger bar chainsaw for cutting blanks would be nice.. used there's a couple around. I stocked up on a couple of 1/2 inch gouges the other day and restocked sandpaper but like I said surely another tool will make me a better turner so what one am I missing??

I have plenty of chucks and jaws. Would like a bandsaw but I'm cheap and don't want to spend that much. I also contemplated a pyrography tool but after the initial excitement I wonder how much use it would get. I probably should just keep building bowls with what I have but you know about the itch I'm sure......

Recommendations?

Website
www.reallyruralwoodworks.com
How about sticking the money in a high-interest (Such as Credit Karma or Paypal) savings account to make even more money until that "Gotta Have It" urge hits you hard enough to overcome the fat interest? It's what I do, trying to save up for my new Jet 1840 ..... (until "Gotta Have It" kicks in too hard..)

Michael asks the right question. Where do you want to go with your turning? Only you know that. If you were asking me about next purchases, perhaps a swing-away for my (75#) tailstock, or maybe some of the photography equipment (lighting, backdrop, etc.) being discussed on another thread.

odie

TOTW Team
Panning for Montana gold, with Betsy, the mule!
It's been a long time since I've wanted any specialty tools.....and, I've got a bunch stashed away....all of them gathering dust!

At some point, I realized that just about anything you want to turn, can be done with the same tools your grandpa used!.....all you need to do is forget about investing $$$$$.....and learn to use the basic tools to their potential. That takes time in the saddle, and not throwing money at it!

Would like a bandsaw but I'm cheap and don't want to spend that much.

I was speaking about lathe turning tools when I spoke above ^^^^^. You really do need a good bandsaw as a companion to your lathe.

-o-

As you know we are all one tool away from greatness.

Money burning a hole in my pocket so I thought I'd get another toy of some sort but I don't know what to prioritize. I was thinking along the lines of another cbn wheel and maybe one of those Kodiak platforms (I'd like to find a robo platform) to sharpen my scraper so I don't have to keep swapping back and forth with the vari grind and platform.

But then I think a bigger bar chainsaw for cutting blanks would be nice.. used there's a couple around. I stocked up on a couple of 1/2 inch gouges the other day and restocked sandpaper but like I said surely another tool will make me a better turner so what one am I missing??

I have plenty of chucks and jaws. Would like a bandsaw but I'm cheap and don't want to spend that much. I also contemplated a pyrography tool but after the initial excitement I wonder how much use it would get. I probably should just keep building bowls with what I have but you know about the itch I'm sure......

Recommendations?
Agreeing with Michael's response (what are your goals?). And, what might be limiting or hampering you? Producing blanks? Yes to bandsaw or chainsaw upgrade? Not knowing what kind of grinding set-up you have, I'm not clear on the need for a different platform. It's easy with a 2-wheel grinder to have a V-pocket on one side for gouges (assuming Wolverine Verigrind here) and the other for scrapers on a platform (usually the lower grit wheel). It sounds like you're really into bigish bowls, so I'd encourage you not to cheap out on a good bandsaw. That can cost you more money in the long run. We have 4 bandsaws in the Studio, 15", 20", 18" and 36" (yes, 36"). Different makers, with two others that didn't make the grade over time and had to be replaced. Forum members could report their favorites on long-lasting workhorses no doubt.

laser engraver
I like the way you think... maybe next go around. I went conservative this time. Stocked up on sandpaper, couple of half inch gouges and a new handle. Then I picked up a fairly new Stihl chainsaw with a 20 inch bar this afternoon. Going to try it out on these hard/big leaf maple chunks I picked up a couple days ago.

Attachments

• PXL_20231028_154843048.MP.jpg
    PXL_20231028_154843048.MP.jpg
    717.6 KB · Views: 30
I like the way you think... maybe next go around. I went conservative this time. Stocked up on sandpaper, couple of half inch gouges and a new handle. Then I picked up a fairly new Stihl chainsaw with a 20 inch bar this afternoon. Going to try it out on these hard/big leaf maple chunks I picked up a couple days ago.
Sounds like a good haul!

Sam - you got so much great advice that I 'spose it's silly to add anything but you know how turners are when spending someone else's money....

My turning life changed dramatically about 7 years ago and I found out that I was turning with tools that weren't sharp enough. A big handicap and dangerous. So I spent money on lots of different grinding systems. No Bill, not hundreds but thousand. And sold off all of them once I settled on the following system:

2 moderately priced Delta double end grinders (Delta Power Tools 23-197 8-Inch Variable Speed), a bit under $200 each. I wanted the $1,000 grinders but just couldn't do it.
A total of 4 CBN wheels, 2 each (180 grit and 325 grit), yes that's the same set on each grinder

Why so many wheels/spindles? Because I am lazier than the next guy! When I check the edge of a tool and know I should sharpen it, I don't if sharpening means taking 10 or 15 minutes away from making chips. I told you I was lazy! BUT, with my setup I can have the 3 common angles that I grind (22 (for negative rake scrapers), 40 and 60). all set to go. When I'm getting serious I just turn on both grinders and start turning. When the tool needs to be sharper, I just turn around and take a minute or so to bring the edge back to razor+ and I'm back to turning. I just don't use dull tools anymore.

For platforms I have 2 Stuart Batty grinding platforms, the larger one (no longer made and almost impossible to find) and a OneWay Wolverine system. I did have 2 Robo Hippy rests for a while but I found the platforms were just too small for my taste. I grind a fair amount freehand so the larger platform is important to me. My bowl gouges are pretty much all 60 except the bottom cleanup gouges so those are what the Wolverine is set for.

So, end result, I am happy with what I have. It works for me and I keep my tools sharp. 2 grinders and 4 wheels set me back about $1200. I might add another Wolverine although things seem to be working well for the moment.

Regards,
Tom

P.S. - Please keep me posted when you have more fun money to spend. I'm sure I can help!!!!

Hi Kent, A part of the money I spent before settling on the the 4 wheel solution was on the Sorby ProEdge. I have kept that because I use it for other sharpening AND to do reshaping. I think/hope that the airflow due to the moving belt helps a little getting rid of grinding heat.

That said - I've got a piece of fishing electronics on the "Gotta have it" list but when that's done, yah, I think an 80 grit CBN would be a better choice on one of the grinders. Thanks for the suggestion.

Tom

Sam - you got so much great advice that I 'spose it's silly to add anything but you know how turners are when spending someone else's money....

My turning life changed dramatically about 7 years ago and I found out that I was turning with tools that weren't sharp enough. A big handicap and dangerous. So I spent money on lots of different grinding systems. No Bill, not hundreds but thousand. And sold off all of them once I settled on the following system:

2 moderately priced Delta double end grinders (Delta Power Tools 23-197 8-Inch Variable Speed), a bit under $200 each. I wanted the $1,000 grinders but just couldn't do it.
A total of 4 CBN wheels, 2 each (180 grit and 325 grit), yes that's the same set on each grinder

Why so many wheels/spindles? Because I am lazier than the next guy! When I check the edge of a tool and know I should sharpen it, I don't if sharpening means taking 10 or 15 minutes away from making chips. I told you I was lazy! BUT, with my setup I can have the 3 common angles that I grind (22 (for negative rake scrapers), 40 and 60). all set to go. When I'm getting serious I just turn on both grinders and start turning. When the tool needs to be sharper, I just turn around and take a minute or so to bring the edge back to razor+ and I'm back to turning. I just don't use dull tools anymore.

For platforms I have 2 Stuart Batty grinding platforms, the larger one (no longer made and almost impossible to find) and a OneWay Wolverine system. I did have 2 Robo Hippy rests for a while but I found the platforms were just too small for my taste. I grind a fair amount freehand so the larger platform is important to me. My bowl gouges are pretty much all 60 except the bottom cleanup gouges so those are what the Wolverine is set for.

So, end result, I am happy with what I have. It works for me and I keep my tools sharp. 2 grinders and 4 wheels set me back about $1200. I might add another Wolverine although things seem to be working well for the moment.

Regards,
Tom

P.S. - Please keep me posted when you have more fun money to spend. I'm sure I can help!!!!
Tom
Stuart has restarted tool production and is making the Batty rests. I think the 5” platform is the largest though. He was setup at SWAT this year with a display of all the tools he has reintroduced.
Randy

Tom
Stuart has restarted tool production and is making the Batty rests. I think the 5” platform is the largest though. He was setup at SWAT this year with a display of all the tools he has reintroduced.
Randy
Randy - That's GREAT news. I'm going to chase down Stuart's web presence right now. Thank you!

Regards,
Tom

So, I'm not off base wanting another cbn of the same grit. My thinking was I don't like taking the time to switch the platform to the one cbn wheel on the other side . And when I do switch it seems like I never get it exactly like it was before. That's why I was thinking a platform with better repeatability would be nice.

Each of us knows ourselves better than any other woodturner. But if the instant availability and the repeatability are big for you, well, you're the guy with a burning pocket! For me the Wolverine was the hands down winner for repeatability. There is a system I learned from Trent Bosch a couple of years ago that makes setup a cinch. Fast and always the same. If you (or anyone else) doesn't know that system I'll post it here. But, only if someone asks. I'm tired of my own voice!

Each of us knows ourselves better than any other woodturner. But if the instant availability and the repeatability are big for you, well, you're the guy with a burning pocket! For me the Wolverine was the hands down winner for repeatability. There is a system I learned from Trent Bosch a couple of years ago that makes setup a cinch. Fast and always the same. If you (or anyone else) doesn't know that system I'll post it here. But, only if someone asks. I'm tired of my own voice!
I reset my grinder station to exactly what one-way recommended the other day and the vari grind like Doug Thompson says (place it over the picture he sends with tools).

I'm still not happy with my results. I can't seem to get a nice flow on the wings from the tip. Comes off the tip and drops down just a little before going into the convex flow of the wings. I've tried different ways and still can't seem to get it right. I get by but I know it should be better. The new gouges I just bought have the grind I want so I know it's possible!

In my VERY humble opinion - that's about practice. You might find it helpful to aim for a slightly proud profile first and then use a very delicate touch to change that to what you want. Hopefully others will have better advice.

Even a brand new 80 grit CBN wheel is slow for shaping a tool if time spent is important. I use a 36 grit belt on my sander for that. You may be able to set up a 36 grit disc on a drill press also. If I am really changing the shape of a tool, I have been known to use a cutting disc on an angle grinder. Just depends on how much you have to remove.

I was surprised to hear the comment about my platform that I used to make being too small. A bigger platform will work until your tool gets short and stubby. I never noticed mine being too small, and designed it based on the size of the Wolverine platform, which is sufficient, at least for me.

Now days, I am more about learning to use hand planes, and want to make a bunch of them, including Japanese style pull planes....

robo hippy

added a log lifter tonight. Probably a useless tool but it looks good. (like most everything else collecting dust)

If you mean one of these, then they invaluable if you are breaking down logs into turning blanks or if do your own firewood, especially as your back gets older!

If you mean one of these, then they invaluable if you are breaking down logs into turning blanks or if do your own firewood, especially as your back gets older!
It was this one but I ended up taking it back because after I got it home I saw where it was only for up to 12 inch diameter logs.
The chunks I have to cut are walnut about 20 or so inches diameter so I need to order the bigger model.

I've seen pictures similar to what you posted, you still have to lift the total weight don't you? I'm more after some leverage to roll them around and to pick up the end to cut them easier.

Attachments

• loglifter.jpg
    loglifter.jpg
    16.8 KB · Views: 38
I've seen pictures similar to what you posted, you still have to lift the total weight don't you? I'm more after some leverage to roll them around and to pick up the end to cut them easier.

Yes, the one I posted is for carrying the bucked logs about.

As Dave Landers points out, the one you show is a cant hook that serves a different purpose. You will need a very big one of those, in terms of handle length, to roll a 20" logs about.

Website
www.reallyruralwoodworks.com
As Dave Landers points out, the one you show is a cant hook that serves a different purpose. You will need a very big one of those, in terms of handle length, to roll a 20" logs about.
Hmm? Big? Nah, if you know how to use them (I have a Cant Hook from Granddad's farm still) you can roll some massive logs , and the whole tool isn't even 5 feet total length I have used it in the woods working with my brother, to roll logs as big as 16 feet long and 52" diameter (I worked a couple days on a log landing bucking logs to prep for log truck to haul 'em off, filling in for a short handed crew with a tight deadline. ) But yeah, Cant hook / Peavey with the add-on for lifting would be quite nice (and definitely would be a struggle to roll-lift big logs, but depending on your weight & strength can still do logs up to 36" or bigger - Biggest I could manage would be maybe a 24" diameter, myself, but then I'm only 160 Lbs and not all that strong)

Only real difference between a specific purpose log lifter like the one pictured, and a Cant Hook (Which is also used on lumber mills to roll the sawn log A.K.A. the Cant into position desired) is the log lifter is missing the spear point that a (most) Cant hook has , and not all Cant Hooks will have the tabs or ears to which you can bolt on a log lift (Log Jack) but I have had dual purpose ones that can serve either or both purposes.

Back