• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Peter Jacobson for "Red Winged Burl Bowl" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 29, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

When it rains...

It pores....Free wood that is.

I work at the Marine Corps Air Station in Beaufort, SC. They just started remodeling the front gate and cut down two very large cedar trees. I mentioned to one of the guys from enviromental that I would like to get a few peices. He asked what size and I told him about 4 4' peices would keep me busy for a while. Today he showed up with 4 peices 10-12" in diameter. I'll try and post pics tomorrow.

Yesterday he brought a whole small cherry tree, cut up of coarse, that was removed from somewhere on the base.

WhenI got home yesterday I was talking to my neighbor who is removing some trees close to his house and mentioned that if he would like I would "get rid" of some of them for him. He told me to take all I wanted. Mostly maple and oak, some as big as 12-14".

Now I have to really get finnished with the bookcase/fireplace surround I'm working on so I can get back to the lathe.

It may not be prized wood, but it's free so if I screw up while still learning nothing reaslly lost.

Bryant

Be Very CarefulL

If you give the guy from the base a bowl as a thank you, you'll wind up with a fleet of duece & half's lined up to drop wood off in your driveway, the drivers of which will be likewise ALL be expecting a bowl or to in return. This leads to the need for a bigger lathe, larger tools, and a separate shop.

Like I said,

BE VERY CAREFULL!!!!!! :D :D

Yep, SCOREEEEEEE... and do not forget the Station Commandant and maybe the Air Boss. it could get ugly, if ya need help check w/ special services and see if any of the wing nuts are turners. maybe start something ... Semper Fi. My brother is was a Marine cannon cocker in Nam...I flew recon Army in Nam.... go figure.

Free Wood

c12mech said:
It may not be prized wood, but it's free so if I screw up while still learning nothing reaslly lost.

If you don't prize cherry, cedar, oak, and maple - you can certainly send it out here to Kansas. Those will turn well on my PM!! :D

Good Luck with your find!

John :)

I do consider all wood prized. Ijust meant that I do not know if any of this has some of that great grain or coloring that makes it unique.

Part of the deal for the wood is that I have to make something for the guy who got if for me. He wants a wlking stick out of the cherry. I plan to do a shallow bowl or platter for the base CO's retirement. I'm not a Marine but a contractor that works on the plane he flys. I've found it's always good to keep the big boss happy.

I told the wife I now have a good reason to get the chainsaw that I would like. Then maybe a big mustard machine, better guoges, more chucks......it's a never ending cycle. What a great hobby.

Walking Sticks

If you need some good ideas for walking sticks to keep the wood coming - check out this book:

I use it for ideas on my canes. Adopted some of their shepherd crook ideas into a laminated handle for canes.

Have fun with the wood!!

Stick Making

Website
www.ablett.jp
Well, that is one great score........ where are the pics :D

I guess you will be buying Anchorseal by the 5 gallon bucket eh?

Free wood is BEST, and you NEVER know what you will find inside them logs :cool2:

Good luck!

Back