• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Jim Hills for "Journey II" being selected as Turning of the Week for May 6th, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

When to stabilize punky wood

I have rough turned some maple which is pretty punky in spots. Have tried stabilizing prior to second turning with PC wood stabilizer but I seem to be turning through the stabilized portion. Thought I would try using a thinned epoxy resin after the second turning and then sanding smooth. Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated. Do not want to go the vacuum route. I know I could finish it as is with character, but would like to have a smoother finish

Attachments

• 20240426_204648.jpg
    20240426_204648.jpg
    251.4 KB · Views: 20
  • 20240426_204653.jpg
    20240426_204653.jpg
    333.5 KB · Views: 20
  • 20240426_204711.jpg
    20240426_204711.jpg
    279.1 KB · Views: 20
I like this idea. So a 10 inch bowl, rough turn to 1 inch, then dry and second turn to maybe half inch, stabilize and then final turn to my final 3/8 inch thickness. I have tried the PC wood stabilizer, but results are ? Any thoughts on thinned epoxy as stabilizer?

hockenbery

Forum MVP
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
www.hockenberywoodturning.com
What I do on slightly punky wood is
I first try wetting the surface with water this often swells the fibers and yields a better cut.
if that doesn’t work I used a 1 pound cut of shellac ( 2x the alchohol) this penetrates and fills the spaces between the fibers and give a better cut. Thin lacquer can do similar. The shellac and thin lacquer dry it a few minutes.

I find a pull cut with an Ellsworth ground gouge gives the best surface.

Another coat of thin shellac
Then shear scrape if it improves the surface.

My dad was known for his epoxy finishing technique and would use it to stabilize punky/soft wood. I am attaching two documents of his. One goes into detail for his epoxy finishing. Hope these help. Good luck!

Attachments

• Epoxy Phil Brown 2016 Finishing notes.pdf
    1.1 MB · Views: 51
  • Phi Brown Finsihing Notes 2006.pdf
    1.2 MB · Views: 33
My dad was known for his epoxy finishing technique and would use it to stabilize punky/soft wood. I am attaching two documents of his. One goes into detail for his epoxy finishing. Hope these help. Good luck!
Thanks for sharing this. I love that your Dad wrote out his techniques and thoughts on this. Used it as a guide on a very punky spalted maple bowl today. Worked well on the outer surface but I turned too deep on the inner side past where the epoxy stabilization ended. Definitely a learning curve. Hopefully will get this right in the next couple of bowls. Love the challenge of this beautiful, but punky wood.🥰

Thanks for sharing this. I love that your Dad wrote out his techniques and thoughts on this. Used it as a guide on a very punky spalted maple bowl today. Worked well on the outer surface but I turned too deep on the inner side past where the epoxy stabilization ended. Definitely a learning curve. Hopefully will get this right in the next couple of bowls. Love the challenge of this beautiful, but punky wood.🥰
Glad it worked at least partially. What epoxy did you use?

Randy Anderson

Beta Tester
Beta Tester
Website
www.etsy.com
I've used shellac and two part epoxy before but recently been using Minwax wood hardener. Easy to find at local HW stores, cures quickly enough to work with on small or large areas and seems to really soak in but not create a mess. I don't try to stabilize after the first turn for twice turned pieces. Like Gary, on the second turn I try to get close to finish shape and thickness then apply the hardener/stabilizer. Then very light, careful, sharp tool cuts to get to final. I may go back more times in specific areas with the stabilizer as needed. It can vary but often a NR scraper on punky areas that have been treated can produce a smooth surface.

Back