• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Which CBN wheel

I’m looking at purchasing a 180 grit CBN wheel. I’ve narrowed my choices to either a Tradesman or a wheel from Woodworking wonders.
Anyone have experience with them?

Thanks Dave. The wheel from Woodturners wonders isn’t available until sometime around 3/25. I’ll hold on until then.

I preordered the Mega Square 180 grit from WW, like you, waiting till the end of the month...there are other 1 1/2" out there but none that has the 1" on the side that I could find.

I have mostly D Way wheels. I consider Dave Schweitzer to be a good friend, but he likes every body.... The Wheels from D Way are steel, so heavier. I don't really know if there is any real difference in overall quality. When the Woodturnerswonder wheels came out, there were questions about how the material would bond to aluminum. I haven't heard of any issues, and it has been long enough that if there were problems, they would have been mentioned. I did have one Tradesman wheel, just to see. At that time, they only made 1 inch wide wheels. I do prefer the 1 1/2 inch wide wheels. I know he made wider ones, but don't remember the specs. They come out of Canada. His grinder is made for sharpening the CNC bits, it is variable speed, and very high quality. Not sure if it is worth the extra money for sharpening our lathe tools or not. Another wheel is the Optigrind, and I think Cindy Drozda sells them. Originally out of Austria, I think, and maybe the first wheel available to the woodturning world. The owner died, and Cindy took over selling those wheels. They were also very good quality. I haven't tried the Woodcut wheels. Don't think they were out when I wrote the article. Every one has a 'house' brand CBN wheel now..... Makes sense, since they are so far above the standard grinding wheels in every single category.

robo hippy

When the Woodturnerswonder wheels came out, there were questions about how the material would bond to aluminum. I haven't heard of any issues, and it has been long enough that if there were problems, they would have been mentioned.
FWIW ... I heard those concerns but decided to take a chance on Ken Rizza's WW wheels (80 and 180 grit) anyway. That was over 8 years ago, and have never had a single problem or concern with either of them.

Guys, there is an advantage to ordering and paying early, I just got a notice that the mega wheel I ordered has been shipped from Georgia, that is 11 days earlier than they thought they would be in at Woodturners Wonders.

Guys, there is an advantage to ordering and paying early, I just got a notice that the mega wheel I ordered has been shipped from Georgia, that is 11 days earlier than they thought they would be in at Woodturners Wonders.
Looks like my order is going to arrive early as well!!

Back