• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Paul May for "Checkerboard (ver 3.0)" being selected as Turning of the Week for March 25, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Wiedemann Christmas Tree Skew

I can't seem to find a video on using the Wiedemann Christmas Tree Skew on line. I wonder if anyone knows of one or has experience using it? It looks like it's only available from Germany.

Does anyone here make trees like that?

Are you referring to the method of making trees and flowers originating in Erzgebirge, so called Hard and Soft turning?
If so Alan Lacer in his 'Woodturning Projects & Techniques' book, details how to do this technique using a 3/4" or 1" skew that has been modified using a chainsaw blade grinding stone. This looks like the picture you linked.

Here's a couple of ornaments where I used this technique. I'm certainly not an expert!

Attachments

• 20191230_151606.jpg
    20191230_151606.jpg
    180.2 KB · Views: 59
  • 20191230_152021.jpg
    20191230_152021.jpg
    292.4 KB · Views: 61
Yep. I talked with Alan about this at a Marc Adams class. I tried a couple different woods, and tried soaking some basswood in water, per Alan's suggestion. Still a work in progress.

john lucas

AAW Forum Expert
I just made 20 come Greenwood flowers that are turned very similar to the christmas tree. I tried 2 skews, a Thompson v skew and my 3/8" thompson detail gouge. All worked about the same. So I'm not sure the tool has much to do with it.

Back