• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Peter Jacobson for "Red Winged Burl Bowl" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 29, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Winter Journal?

Journal

:( :( :( Poor lil underdog!!!!! Well, the way I see it, you have too much free time....get to the shop and spin some wood!!!! Or, plan "B", go to the shipping area and help them send out the MANY thousands of copies. You may even get to address and ship out YOURS!!!!!! Be cool...you will get it in due time, just like the rest of us.

Sky

Like most, :cool2: I'll be turning wood till mine comes, then i'll be turning pages.

Winter Journal

It's better to do some experimental turning than to try to figure out all those big 50 cent words. So when mine gets here I'll just look at the pictures since they're worth a thousand words.

Mr. Don said:
Poor lil underdog!!!!! Well, the way I see it, you have too much free time....get to the shop and spin some wood!!!! Or, plan "B", go to the shipping area and help them send out the MANY thousands of copies. You may even get to address and ship out YOURS!!!!!! Be cool...you will get it in due time, just like the rest of us.

Jim's lower lip protrudes, and begins to quiver. His face clouds up and he mumbles... "Shuddup you. Whatcha pickin on me fore?"

:D

I was wondering when they published the winter issue, and figured that since it was nearly December it ought to be out because they publish it every quarter right? Quarters over half over... And besides I thought I saw someone write about an article they saw in this issue on another forum. So I just thought I'd ask...

Right after I posted though, I saw that they have been mailed out on the home page... :eek: Yeah.. that was pretty stupid of me wasn't it? :p

Kurt Rosenzweig said:
I'm still waiting to receive my fall issue! :( Is that something you could help me with Mark?

Take 6 Ambien and call me next month :D

For faster relief that lasts, call the AAW office at the number on your screen.

651-484-9094

They'll send you a replacement.

Ames, Iowa (about 25 miles north of Des Moines)
Website
rwallace.public.iastate.edu
Mine arrived today!

Well, I won't win Mark's "Last Man" contest... My American Woodturner Winter 2006 edition arrived today - looks great. My location is a couple clicks south of AAW headquarters along I-35 in central Iowa, about 35 miles north of the Editor's location in Des Moines. Maybe it's a proximity effect..... the issue is worth waiting for (aren't they all?)

Cheers,

Rob Wallace

You call that late?

I also subscribe to Woodturning. I used to get it a month before it showed up on the book store shelves. I didn't get the october issue until the november showed up in the book store and still have not got the november. I hope I get it before the end of the year.

Vernon

Holy Cow!!!! My copy of the winter journal showed up yesterday. It was mailed on Nov. 21 and I received it on the 24th. That is the fastest ever. I did not expect it for a month. Came in a plain brown wrapper with a hand addressed label, lots of postage. Is this the future of delivery for the journal? I like it - but it seems to cost a bit. Good journal though. Even a picture of one of my vessels in it (had to brag as it may never happen again).
Hugh

Sky

I saw a copy at our Palm Beach County Woodturners meeting this morning. :rolleyes: But with over 50 members I didn't to see inside it. :confused: Mine is still a no-show :eek:

Steve Worcester said:
you will notice, we haven't posted the contest info in the forums yet....

Yes I did notice. Thank You for your patience.
I am looking forward to the journal and the new contest.

(Just think without the quarterly journal wait and whine, many of us would still be NooB's in this forum.)

TTFN. Ann

Journal

:D :D Hey Jim!!!! Got mine today!!! DROOL!! CLAW!!! GRUNT!!! SWEAT!!! Guess you better pull in that lower lip before it gets caught up in your lathe!! If I was a nice guy (which I am NOT), and generous (NEVER), I would send you my copy just so you would stop whining. I do wish the powers that be would put the mag in a shipping sleeve or a cheap paper outer cover... mine gets here skuffed and dogeared. I know my carrier does not read it first...she can't read and is colorblind!!! All in all, congrats to the many who make the Journal what it is!!! GREAT JOB!!! :D :D

Bill Boehme

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
pbase.com
I got my AW journal today

This is amazing -- everyone seems to be getting them really fast this month. Looks like lots of really nice stuff to keep me occupied while I am recuperating from back surgery. About all that I can do these days is shuffle out to my shop and wave at my lathe which is gathering cobwebs.

Bill

Time for a new one? I'm still re-reading the old one, hadn't even thought about a new one yet. Maybe mine will come this week between the sale papers, credit card offers, insurance deals, and maybe even a real Christmas card!

Humph! :mad:

I just dusted the Fall issue off and re-read it... :p

Seems we have to vote on sumptin when we re-up next year, so I wuz re-reading the politicians (just kidding, relax!) statements, before I renew my membership.

Din't mean to start a row, was just idly wunderin' when the next issue was coming out... Looking forward to it. :cool2:

Sky

Got mine today!!!!!!!!!!!! My wife hasn't figured out yet to hide it until my honey do list is done. Wait, or HAS SHE?????????????? :eek:

Sky said:
Got mine today!!!!!!!!!!!! My wife hasn't figured out yet to hide it until my honey do list is done. Wait, or HAS SHE?????????????? :eek:

She Has NOT.

Were it otherwise, you'd never see a Journal. Honey-dew lists are self-perpetuating and never ending, at least 'round here, and will be added to any time the final word in a "discussion" is needed. :D

m

Jerry Rhoads

Mine arrived yesterday 12- 05-2006
Don,t think the postman used it, but it was scuffed up a bit
I think maybe we should look into the cost of plastic postal machine proof bags
Jerry Rhoads

I know we hash this out with every issue, and I have heard all the explanations as to why it happens. But . . . seems wierd that some of you have had the magazine for what seems like weeks, and mine is still not here. Don't they all go out at the same time? I'll keep patiently waiting, but it is frustrating to read about things in the magazine that I can't read yet. It's like being left out of a inside joke or something.

If it's not here by Christmas I am going to ask Santa's elves to send me a new one! :cool2:

woodwish said:
I know we hash this out with every issue, and I have heard all the explanations as to why it happens. But . . . seems wierd that some of you have had the magazine for what seems like weeks, and mine is still not here. Don't they all go out at the same time? I'll keep patiently waiting, but it is frustrating to read about things in the magazine that I can't read yet. It's like being left out of a inside joke or something.

Given the mode of delivery being the U.S. Mail, it may be hard to find rhyme or reason for how fast or slowly any particular issue gets to any particular member. We can joke about the "Mail", and I know some very dedicated people who work for the Postal Service, but with any bulk mailing going as far and as wide as does the Journal, you may never get a satisfactory explanation. If/when you get your copy, you might check the coding on the printed mail label. That was the problem last year, and it's not impossible that the distribution firm didn't get all the miscodings fixed. If you find an error on the label, let the AAW office know in writing so they can have it corrected.

Matter of fact, you can check the coding on your last issue to see if that one's messed up. I'd check the numbers and then, if you have a program that prints postal bar codes, print the code that pertains to your own 9-digit zip and compare it with what's printed on your old copy. If that bar code's off or incomplete, it might explain the delay.

If there was ever any doubt about the Journal being the primary perceived benefit of membership for the vast majority of members, one need only look back over the "replies" and "views" numbers on threads on the Journal on this forum.

Yeah! Mine finally got here today, and it was worth the wait. Another excellent issue, but I have only had time to read it once so far :) Reading about the turners that will be in Portland has me excited, even if it is 1/2 year away.

I did check the coding and it is right so I have no idea why mine was so late, just one of the mysteries of life I guess. Patience- I need to work on that I guess :rolleyes:

Back