• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Peter Jacobson for "Red Winged Burl Bowl" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 29, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.
Women in turning seems to be catching (no pun intended) on. Several weeks ago, my wife was asking about a scroll saw. I posted this on another forum and got good advice including an offer of a good used scroll saw to get her started. OK, to continue. I had a doctor's appointment at the VA in Chattanooga. I took Don Ward's book on modifying slimline pens to read while waiting. Anyway she commented that she would like to try turning but only if I wouldn't holler at her. I told her, I WON'T HOLLER AT YOU! When I got up off the floor, she said that we could try it in a couple of days as soon as we got some things done at home. Actually, Sunday looks like there isn't a whole lot on the calendar. I'm going to let her turn a few pieces of odds & ends that we turners accumulate. Our local Woodcraft store offers a bunch of lessons, one is pen making. My grandson and & I took the class that different times. Bill La Roque is great and seems to anticipate your questions before you ask them. If she decided to get into turning, I would offer to pay for a class. Now, I'm wondering if I will have to punch a time clock to use the lathe.

Would have to put it in the living room. We have a family of three in our AAW chapter. They all turn and when they started turning, they bought two lathes and plenty of tools. That is dedication!

Great story, John. If it turns out that your spouse or child gets interested in turning that's priceless. So try to keep that ember going.

I am fortunate my wife is a little interested in turning. She is not as avidly interested as I am, but she turns a few things, which is enough to justify a lot of purchases! And it's nice that we can share some conversation on the subject.

The "two lathes" thing is an issue sometimes, but hey if her interest grows a little more that could happen. For now I have two chucks, one for her project and one for mine.

Don't have room for two lathes but one will suffice for us. I don't spend hours in the shop like some but have a bunch of pens to turn- about 25-30 that I'm wanting to sell. Anyone need a large container of wood shavings and sanding dust?
I have a grandson that has turned a couple of pens. He took the class at Woodcraft. Just thought, he has a pen to turn from a piece of barn siding that is over 100 years old.

I suspect your area doesn't get much snow, but I've found that the shavings do a great job on the path from my door to the wood shop. So they get saved for that.

About the second lathe, it's just me and my wife, and we own THREE lathes! Congratulations on getting her involved. I totally enjoy having my wife in the shop doing stuff beside me. And, just for the record, she's a FAR BETTER wood crafter than I am.

Jerry, see that you are in Maine. I do miss the snow and the clear air after s good snow. Raised in Ohio, snow never really bothered me. Here, if there is even a mention of snow, everything shuts down. Therefore, shavings on the sidewalk, etc. wouldn't be needed as there is no place to go!

hockenbery

Forum MVP
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
www.hockenberywoodturning.com
My grandson and & I took the class that different times. Bill La Roque is great and seems to anticipate your questions before you ask them. If she decided to get into turning, I would offer to pay for a class. Now, I'm wondering if I will have to punch a time clock to use the lathe.
John you need 3 lathes.
Sherry, my wife is quite a good turner. Makes things fun!
She gets the to put her lathe in the nicest place in the shop.
We also have her tools and our tools but it all works out.

Hockenbery, good advice. I'm accepting contributions but be aware that they are not tax-deductible. This is a non-profit organization but we didn't plan on it being that way! :(

hockenbery, pro golfer, Lee Trevino, said his wife made him a millionaire. He used to be a multi-millionaire.

Back