• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Paul May for "Checkerboard (ver 3.0)" being selected as Turning of the Week for March 25, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Wood Identification Help

A local had a free "hardwood" sign and I picked up couple of pieces of crotch for free. Although, not sure what this is...neither was he. Any ideas? Bark has smooth, spotted areas.

Attachments

• 20230312_183333a.jpg
    20230312_183333a.jpg
    521 KB · Views: 87
  • 20230312_183427a.jpg
    20230312_183427a.jpg
    554.1 KB · Views: 88
Website
www.reallyruralwoodworks.com
My guess base on the bark would have been Sycamore, but try and cut some of it and sniff test - It looks a lot like Apple... and sniff test would give you a positive I.D. - applewood does actually give off a sweetish smell somewhat like apples themselves unless it is too dry and dead to be green wood.

Well, sycamore usually doesn't have much color in the heart wood. Apple will go brown, but most that I have seen is not that dark.

robo hippy

Well, sycamore usually doesn't have much color in the heart wood. Apple will go brown, but most that I have seen is not that dark.

robo hippy
I’d just cut some hickory that had the same dark/ light look inside but the bark does appear more apple-like. Looks too light for sycamore.
What part of the country?

I am in Oregon. Most of what we have here is London Plane, and not the American Sycamore. Grew up in Missery/Missouri, and still remember the 'white ghosts' out in the woods that were the American Sycamore. I did pick up one tree here once and the heart wood was blood red. Most of that color was gone in a couple of hours, but that tree did have darker colors to it than others I have picked up.

robo hippy

Back