• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Paul May for "Checkerboard (ver 3.0)" being selected as Turning of the Week for March 25, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Woodturning Safety Research

hockenbery

Forum MVP
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
www.hockenberywoodturning.com
Please include us Segmenters Al!! My injury from the tablesaw involved carrying a piece back across the blade, being one of a hundred rips and daydreaming/ lack of focus; caught the blade, shot it right into my gut after ripping my fingernail off! I never touched the blade but learned to focus the hard way! Danger lurks for the inattentive!!

I am sure that you and other turners have had ER visits from the table saw. I just do not know of any in my circle of friends.

I did include the segmenters I know. One of those I mentioned missing a finger part from flat work is a segmenter, he just did not get hurt on the table saw cutting turning parts.

My conviction that the bandsaw causes more injuries than anything in turning is just my unscientific anecdotal experiences.

I also keep in mind something my freind Steve Gleasner was fond of saying,
“the most dangerous tool is the one you are using”

Last edited:
Well, probably won't have to worry about losing fingers on the tablesaw any more, I have a new Saw Stop. That doesn't rule out kick back, but thus far, I have been very cautious about it. I did have one kick back on the table saw. I was using a cross cut sled and cutting off buttons for attaching solid wood table tops. My cross cut sled doesn't go to the other side of the blade... One of the buttons (about 1 1/2 inch long by 1 inch wide with a tongue to fit into a dado) dropped off and was clear of the blade. It vibrated back into the blade, and just as I was thinking, hmm that might hit the blade, it did. No stitches, but I do have a scar on my arm. I do make sure to stand out of the line of fire on the table saw.

I have had, thus far, 2 minor cuts from the chainsaw. One was the saw was falling out of the back of my van. I grabbed it, by the blade and nicked a finger on the chain. The other was when working on the bar of an old Sthil. The chain had burnished a nice burr on the bar, and I ran my finger by it and got a small cut. Nothing deep, but annoying. I now make sure to file that burr off. Saw a guy at the chainsaw shop do the same thing, so I didn't feel too stupid for doing that one. I have had a few nicks from sharpening, which I do with the hand file. Pushing too hard and slipping, then nicking my knuckles on the teeth. I generally wear gloves not or at least have a glove in hand to cover the teeth.

robo hippy

"I do make sure to stand out of the line of fire on the table saw."
Me, too. I learn fast.

Back