• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Peter Jacobson for "Red Winged Burl Bowl" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 29, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

Yet another chuck recommendation thread

Still, has anyone heard of the gears or key on the geared chucks wearing out?
No, I haven’t heard it, I have experienced it. My PSI barracuda chucks - the chuck body key pivot hole and the tip of the chuck key wear out after a while and become unusable. Its a combination of design and materials used that allow it to happen. All other aspects of those chucks are pretty good, but this achilles heel makes them a bad buy.

No such issue with the g3 or stronghold chucks. The type of chuck key drive is a preference item - way down on my list, very high on other’s lists. This thread demonstrates the variance of features available from different mfrs and how different people rate various features. In the end its what an individual believes/favors. The brands discussed, Oneway, Vicmarc, Axminster, Nova, all make a product that will work for many years without major fault. Its up to the person to make their individual list and choose, and its nice to have the choices.

hockenbery

Forum MVP
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
www.hockenberywoodturning.com
has anyone heard of the gears or key on the geared chucks wearing out?

One of our strongholds is 26 or 27 years old. The key still works fine.
We have 3 strongholds and a vicmarc 120.

I like the Vic for bowls and doing full circle grips on balls and ornaments
like the stronghold for most everything else especial gripping square spindles and tenons

For me the the Hex key seems a little faster to put in than the ONEWAY key.
The ONEWAY key will usually stay in the chuck if you move away to get the next blank the hex key will usually fall out.
The are lots of problems with the hex key handles breaking but a hex key can be sourced locally

I am another fan of the hex keys. One reason is that if I lose it, I can go to the hardware store and buy another one, and probably for less than what it would cost to buy the other ones from the manufacturers. I did replace my blue plastic handled ones from Vicmark with a loop T handle. The plastic broke off of a couple of them. I don't think I over tighten, but enough tightenings, and the plastic fails. I did notice that Richard Raffen put a wood handle on the short side of his Vicmark wrench.

I don't do adult beverages any more. Been 34 years now. I am Irish....

robo hippy

I have bought many chucks over years. Primarily because of a particular jaw set requirement that evolved from varied turning interests. It’s difficult to predict what type and size projects your will be turning in the future. I think choosing a chuck manufacturer and model that has an extensive chuck jaw line is a good investment. Another chuck purchasing feature you may consider if you ever anticipate changing lathes is buying a chuck with interchangeable spindle adapters vs fixed thread. Jump in and make the purchase of your first chuck from Oneway, Vicmark Axminster, or any of the others praised here to get going. I don't think you can go wrong with any of them. And like many of the fine participants of this forum, as the years go by, you may find yourself acquiring additional chucks and jaws. They all still work fine!

Just a different logic vector......

If you are someone that that actually only turns ONE object at a time....that it - from start to finish, then buy the Easy. But - in my world....I always have a number of turning projects going. I don't want to have to chuck, dis mount, and remount if I can at all prevent it. Re-truing a pice multiple times is not what I want to do.
So - MORE chucks! I am up to about a dozen now.
I have all of the brands talked about here - except the Easy and Oneway. The Easy just does not fit my turning style. And I do not like the geared teeth of the Oneway. While I like my Vicmarcs - I really believe that the current Axminster chucks are better made. Yes...I said that. Sacrilege committed....I know. But - ALL stainless body and jaws and very accurate machining tolerances. Like 'em a lot!

Axminster is in the top spot at this point. Not that whichever one suggested last wins, but they had me at "stainless". As a former home-brewer, I still have a lingering fetish for stainless steel.

And I like the removable faceplate. Not sure if that is exclusive to their chuck, but it appeals to me. I can buy a few, turn a piece rough before drying it, and then re-mount the work later. Maybe. In theory.

@Gerald Rutledge I don't recall if you have joined a turning club yet, but some of the clubs have discounts with various suppliers. It can add up when buying chucks, jaws, tools, etc. I have had good prices and service from Hartville Tool, but they don't have Axminster.

Bill Boehme

Administrator
Staff member
Beta Tester
TOTW Team
Website
pbase.com
So for these two reasons I am targeting larger chucks that are intended for full size lathes ( >= 16" ).

Buying a chuck can be the "Tim, the Tool Guy" trap¹ of bigger is better. The size of the chuck that you use should be based on the size of what you are turning, NOT the size of your lathe. I use Oneway Talon or Vicmarc VM100 chucks for probably 90% of everything I turn even though my lathe has a 25½" swing. The reason is that it is easier to work closer to the tenon or mortise when using a smaller chuck. And, for turnings smaller than 16" diameter, the smaller chucks hold just as well as the larger chucks.

¹Tim the Tool Guy, Taylor was the main character on the 1990's sitcom Home Improvement.

Back