• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Dave Roberts for "2 Hats" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 22, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.

You know what's crazy?

odie

TOTW Team
Panning for Montana gold, with Betsy, the mule!
But love my country, not the new stuff

Yeah, me too, Gerald........

Having been into rock and roll since the beginning of time, I've never been into country exclusively, but do enjoy a lot of the old stuff.......can't get much interested in anything newer than around 2000, or so.......

When would you say country music lost you?

-----odie-----

Odie-I'm not Gerald, but I would like to weigh in with my 2 cents on that question. I have always loved old school, real country music, from the outlaw stuff of Waylon, Willie, David Allan Coe and Merle to Johhny Cash, Kris Kristofferson, Marty Robbins, Patsy Cline and Reba McEntire, "The Possum" George Jones, and too many more to mention. But probably the last country musicians I liked were 90's guys like Dwight Yoakam and Brad Paisley, both super-talented performers. I like Garth Brooks, too, but his immense popularity took country music out of smoky bars and put it into stadiums for the 1st time in its history. I guess the record industry saw the enormous potential to make the same level of money as they had with the big rock acts like Led Zeppelin and others.

And then the marketing people took over...

Most of what is called country now is just really bad pop. Fake country accents and formulaic songs that all have to contain the same elements. The women all have to be super-model gorgeous after Shania Twain (not that there's anything wrong with that, but not sure Loretta Lynn would have been able to get a recording contract nowadays).

Now if you go looking for some alt-country music, you can find some real talent: Sturgill Simpson, Jason Isbell, etc. But that has often been the case with rock acts too. There is a lot of talent out there that doesn't fit the mainstream mold.

Yeah, me too, Gerald........

Having been into rock and roll since the beginning of time, I've never been into country exclusively, but do enjoy a lot of the old stuff.......can't get much interested in anything newer than around 2000, or so.......

When would you say country music lost you?

-----odie-----
Like Aaron , the 90's was the last real good but there are some newer artist like Moe Pitney and a couple others who are very good. There are so many now singing not to what country is and you cannot even understand what they are saying. Even the music it self is so much changed and none of the traditional instruments like banjo, slide guitar. They are using synthesizer and such.

I don't listen to 'modern' country music. It kind of took a turn towards Pop rather than country. There are a few modern country swing bands that I like, but the new stuff, not as much. Love blue grass as well.

One old song, written by Carl Perkins, and I think Wanda Jackson sang it, 'They called it rockabilly before they called it rock and roll.'

robo hippy

I listen to my wife; she even tells me what music I can listen to.
Then when she leaves, 70’s rock music sings to my old ears. I believe it even makes my lathe happy.

John,
I know it makes the lathe happy........it goes dancing across the shop floor when special things are playing.

I would suggest keep your ears open across all music types! New classics are coming around all the time; they are being heard, just not by us all. Like with most things, limiting yourself to certain things keeps you locked away from many! Now I love Rock and Roll guitar but it’s hard to turn away from some top notch bluegrass fiddle playing or even Yo Yo Ma grinding on his Cello!

I listen to music sometimes in the shop - full multichannel/sub system - but with the dc running I really have to crank it up, and it becomes too much. I have better systems in my home office and living room, and sometimes play my own “concert” on those systems. Definitely dance to it - I could “cut a rug” in my younger years, I sing too till it makes the dog howl. While I appreciate music, I cant play or sing at all, but the dog wont tell!

I still have my vinyl collection from school and college, and found good cd’s of most of it years ago. The few I couldnt find I digitized the vinyl just for convenience. Country is my favorite, with classic rock a close 2nd. Not much music of the 21st century is worth the time - there might be modern “classics” being made but not to these ears. “Modern Country” is an oxymoron, and Im not aware of any current rock bands, its all fingernails on the chalkboard. While Elvis and the Beatles made quite a stir and lots of old people said bad things about them, they made real music - today’s crap is made like baseball is managed, all by stats and numbers, no soul. Listing favorites would take too much space, and I’d forget someone important. I think I have ~6000 songs on my NAS, along with Sirius/XM, so plenty to listen to.

I also have SeriusXM in my shop. I am not young but I have been a fan of hard rock and metal since the early 70’s. That is what I listen to in my shop.
I knew I always liked you for some reason, Rusty .

Typically I don't listen to music in the shop, though I have stereos I can Bluetooth to or plug my phone into. I practiced, played, listened to, or performed rock/metal so much the past 5 years that woodturning and shop time is now a serene reprieve. Maybe if I stopped thinking so much, my work would improve? ...

I knew I always liked you for some reason, Rusty .

Typically I don't listen to music in the shop, though I have stereos I can Bluetooth to or plug my phone into. I practiced, played, listened to, or performed rock/metal so much the past 5 years that woodturning and shop time is now a serene reprieve. Maybe if I stopped thinking so much, my work would improve? ...
I played in a band many years ago when I lived in California. I get together with friends and jam a couple times a year now.

Back