• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Peter Jacobson for "Red Winged Burl Bowl" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 29, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.
2123 Gabon Ebony.
odie

2123 Gabon Ebony.

Completed 1/20/23. Original block was 22% MC, and after roughing + anchorseal, the roughed bowl took a total of 11 months to stabilize. 5 1/2" x 2 13/16", 10.1 oz, sold for $225 on 1/28/23. Gabon ebony is one of the finest woods to turn.....such a great possible surface finish.
postulate u will be looking for more blanks of ebony

I'm glad your customers appreciate your work and snatch it up. But I bet they have no clue how difficult it is to produce the elements and results you feature.

postulate u will be looking for more blanks of ebony
Yeah Charlie.....I'm always on the lookout for Gabon Ebony. There is frequently a supply of spindle blanks, but anything big enough to make a bowl >6" is getting a bit rare. On top of that, did you know Gabon Ebony is now considered an endangered species?! Not sure how the current supply-chain works, but I suspect some, or most of the harvest these days might have some questionable origins.

On the other hand.....trees are living things, and they die, just like all living things do. So, it is my opinion that African governments should limit harvests to a self-sustaining level.....like the government of India does for the limited harvest of likewise endangered East India Rosewood.

I'm glad your customers appreciate your work and snatch it up. But I bet they have no clue how difficult it is to produce the elements and results you feature.

Hi there Dean.....I believe you're right. Some might, but most buyers, art collectors, connoisseurs have no idea what it takes turn or finish a wood like Gabon Ebony. All they know....is what they like, and what they are willing to pay for what they like! :)

-----odie-----

Media information

Category
Member Galleries
Added by
odie
Date added
View count
Comment count
Rating
0.00 star(s) 0 ratings

Image metadata