• Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Peter Jacobson for "Red Winged Burl Bowl" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 29, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.
Drumsticks
Steve Huffman

Drumsticks

Had a request for something I haven't turned before, Drumsticks. Was pretty easy turning but getting the pairs even was the trick. Black walnut and Cherry, 9/16 dia. x 16 inches long. They loved them! There are different type shapes to the tips, I went with "Teardrop" on these.
Nice work. My friend has made them before and tells me they are trickier that you might think to get the right thickness, head size, wood strength, bounce effect, etc. Not just a simple stick with a teardrop on the end.

Nice work. My friend has made them before and tells me they are trickier that you might think to get the right thickness, head size, wood strength, bounce effect, etc. Not just a simple stick with a teardrop on the end.
Yup .... also balance, weight, and straight grain to minimize breakage. Probably a few more characteristics as well.

Thank you, you both are right, and the weight between the pair of sticks is important and effects the sound......I'm told anyway. BTW used a 5/8 wrench as a gauge to rough in, then fine turned to 9/16 dia.

Media information

Category
Member Galleries
Added by
Steve Huffman
Date added
View count
Comment count
Rating
0.00 star(s) 0 ratings

Image metadata

Filename