• We just finished moving the forums to a new hosting server. It looks like everything is functioning correctly but if you find a problem please report it in the Forum Technical Support Forum (click here) or email us at forum_moderator AT aawforum.org. Thanks!
  • Beware of Counterfeit Woodturning Tools (click here for details)
  • Johnathan Silwones is starting a new AAW chapter, Southern Alleghenies Woodturners, in Johnstown, PA. (click here for details)
  • Congratulations to Peter Jacobson for "Red Winged Burl Bowl" being selected as Turning of the Week for April 29, 2024 (click here for details)
  • Welcome new registering member. Your username must be your real First and Last name (for example: John Doe). "Screen names" and "handles" are not allowed and your registration will be deleted if you don't use your real name. Also, do not use all caps nor all lower case.
#2240 spalted Hackberry
odie

#2240 spalted Hackberry

Completed 12/8/2023. The spalted Hackberry bowl blank originally had 26% MC. After roughing and anchorseal, it took a total of 8 months to stabilize. Final dimensions are 5 1/4" x 3 3/4", and weighs in at 8.5 oz. It was sanded to 600gt. Danish oil natural and Beall 3-step buffed. I have done a number of hackberry bowls, and they are all relatively small. The spalting needs to be caught at exactly the right time to get the best coloring, while not becoming too punky. Good turning experience, if those parameters are maintained.

-o-
Odie, I love the hackberry piece, but I still marvel at how you turn those Scrabble pieces so perfectly!

Ha,ha......yeah, it really wears out your arms to push your lathe tool in and out when those scrabble pieces are spinning at 800 rpm!!! :)

(In case you were wondering why those scrabble pieces are there.....it's requested by Etsy to include something in the photograph that will give the viewer a visual conception of the size of the item in the photo.)

-o-

Yes Odie, a requirement of many other work-accepting sites, orgs etc. Also just a nice courtesy for the folks looking at the pic who may have trouble converting our inches to metric! In our club we generally use a coke can, but I have used a dime (in a pic that was posted today in fact but then taken down because I got image happy). We should have a forum for creative ideas of things to photograph your work with that give size context to the viewer. (Maybe I'll put one of me towers next to Torre di Pisa or Il Duomo!

Yes Odie, a requirement of many other work-accepting sites, orgs etc. Also just a nice courtesy for the folks looking at the pic who may have trouble converting our inches to metric! In our club we generally use a coke can, but I have used a dime (in a pic that was posted today in fact but then taken down because I got image happy). We should have a forum for creative ideas of things to photograph your work with that give size context to the viewer. (Maybe I'll put one of me towers next to Torre di Pisa or Il Duomo!

Howdy Thomas......

I noticed that you put up too many images at once......you aren't the only one that has done that! Quite a few do it once before they realize there is a limit!

Some nice things you're doing, sir..... :)

-o-

Media information

Category
Member Galleries
Added by
odie
Date added
View count
Comment count
Rating
0.00 star(s) 0 ratings

Image metadata